E-mount lenses for infrared photography

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
Kolarivision has a listing of lenses that work well with converted infrared cameras with some lenses that produce hotspots...

https://kolarivision.com/articles/lens-hotspot-list/

I should be getting my NEX-7 back from conversion soon and I am happy that I have some lenses that are listed in the good category for IR.

24-70mm f/4 Vario-Tessar, 70-200mm f/4 G, and the 12mm f/2.0 Rokinon

However I "might" just keep the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens that I received with the NEX-7 body I purchased on eBay because that is one of the lenses that is listed as "good" for infrared. I will update the firmware and if the lens does a decent job, I just might leave it on the NEX-7...

I am getting a bit excited over the prospect of a small form factor camera dedicated to full time 830nm (contrasty black and white imagery) infrared photography...

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
I've found such lists to be pretty much useless in the past. Most are compiled from multiple sources including comments from anyone trying IR. There are just too many factors that affect hot-spots (including aperture, focus distance, direction of lighting, body being used, conversion being used...) so they have to be used with a huge pinch of salt.

FWIW hot spots have generally been very rare with the adapted lenses I've used on my converted A7ii. Those I've seen issues with have probably actually been light leaks in the adapter instead (giving a ring rather than a spot).
With my MFT cameras I've had terrible hot spots when trying the kit lens on a non converted body, (long exposure & 720nm) but never any using the same lens extensively on a converted one (various apertures, many filters...).

I've never tried a native lens on wither my MEX 6 or the A7ii, so can't even add an opinion on the IR performance of any of them.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I tend to agree with you. I did a lot of shooting with a converted Canon D60 (not the 60D) on which I used a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX Mark-1. The Tokina was supposed to produce a hotspot but, my combination did not.

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
I tend to agree with you. I did a lot of shooting with a converted Canon D60 (not the 60D) on which I used a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX Mark-1. The Tokina was supposed to produce a hotspot but, my combination did not.
I'm sure that's much better than the other way round. :thumbup:
I'd be mighty peeved if I brought a lens listed as hot spot free only to find it gave hotspots on my system.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom