1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-mount 400mm Prime?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Pitter, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

I've looked about the web and the answer seems to be no but is anyone aware of a 400mm prime lens available for e-mount? I'm just imagining a good 400 prime on the new Sony 7R ll.

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    If you can't find one, as one possible alternative, the manual Canon FDn 400/4.5 with a CIECIO7 adapter is outstanding on the NEX-7.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pitter

Thanks for that tip.

4. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Wow, that lens is a monster. Like lugging and old rifle

5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes...400mm...the front 4" is an extendable hood that rotates and slides back so its not quite a monster...but not a lens you'd walk around a shopping mall with, LOL...its for wildlife, moon shots, sideline shots at football games, etc...an outstanding lens...cost $1500+ back in the 80's...but you can pick them now for $500

• Like Like x 1
  6. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I love my 400mm. Last trip to the zoo and aviary to test my new A7ii I shot like 90℅ with it as the IBS made it that much easier to do! I got lucky to find one for $200 with case and the filters :)

7. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Have you considered Sony's 70-400G2 with LAEA4 (you could use this with LAEA3 on A7rII). It's a fantastic pro grade modern optic and I've gotten beautiful results with mine. The lens itself is as solid as they come, has a focus limiter, because it transmits it's focal lenth it benefits from 5 axis image stabilization on the A7rII and A7II and it strikes a nice balance between useful glass speed and lens size.
    The optics (again) really are super sharp and it is second to none. I've buddies shooting the 100-400 who have told me they wish it was available for EF mount.
    It is an expensive lens but if you are serious about your optics and your uses for it, it's genuinely worth considering.

I reckon that at some point Sony will produce an FE mount native variant but that could be 2-3 years out.

8. Pitter

Yes I've been looking at that and glad to hear a personal report. A couple of things though. I'm really looking for a top quality prime lens since I don't need zoom. The other is I've been totaling up the weight of that Sony combination and it comes out very close to the 7D ll w/400 5.6. I was hoping to save a lot of weight as well as gain all the benefits of the A7rII.

9. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    If price is your limiting factor - it's hard to beat a 300 dollar FD 400mm canon on keh.com https://www.keh.com/213987/canon-400mm-f-4-5-ssc-bl-fd-mount-lens-drop-in.

However I suspect that a modern super telephoto zoom from Canon (100-400L2), Nikon (80-400) or Sony (70-400) would optically give you much better IQ results on account of modern computer designs, modern lens coatings, capacity to benefit from image stabilization, quick autofocus etc.... Whether that is worth a 1700 price differential is something that you need to consider.
    Personally when going for super telephoto reach, the size/weight considerations become slightly less of an issue because as you get to 400mm reach and beyond I'd typically use a tripod or monopod anyway. Image stabilization is next best thing. Using such focal lengths without some sort of assisting stabilization may prove to reduce your perceptive sharpness and detail.

Regarding the weight /size of 7d + EF400 5.6. My thoughts on that combo.... Again I would opt for http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100-400mm-f-4.5-5.6-L-IS-II-USM-Lens.aspx over the 400mm (it's a more contrasty lens with better central sharpness at the long end). In fact all 3 super telephoto zooms from the big 3 are fantastic. Genuinely so.
    The 7d is a great camera and if you are shooting moving subjects will be a great choice.
    It is possible to mount the 70-400 with LAEA4 and LAEA3 on the A7rII. The LAEA4 adapter system is very good and I've been very happy shooting downhill ski events and wildlife (wolves, bison) with mine. The big limitation is the AF spread area of the LAEA4 but typically at those focal lengths I'm not focus recomposing ;) My subject matter is typically bang center of the frame so no big deal. Also worth noting that the 5d and D810 lose available advertised focus points when shooting their 400mm superzooms as you stop down. However the A7rII could rectify these issues with the LAEA3 with massive on sensor PDAF frame coverage. How the A7RII will perform with moving subjects is another question altogether. All reports so far suggest that it has an excellent AF system - likely comparable to what is in a 5d mark iii in terms of AF performance with adapted Canon glass.

It may help us a little more to tell what your intended use of a 400mm lens actually is?

Best of luck with whatever you choose :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Pitter

For birds. I started out with the Canon 100-400 on a Canon 50D. I wasn't happy with the sharpness and changed to the 400 5.6. I was happier with sharpness of that lens and continued to use it with a 7D and now 7D ll. I have almost never had to back up on a bird to get it in focus so don't feel I need the zoom feature and would like to save the weight. Together with the camera and lens I am also using Canon's 600 flash. Hand holding with out IS hasn't been a problem since I use a high shutter speed. The combination of those three items though is the maximum weight I'm comfortable carrying around (just barely) on bird hikes. I lighter setup with excellent 400mm glass would be the answer to my dream.