1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DXO tests the FE24-240

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by WestOkid, May 25, 2015.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-FE-24-240mm-F35-63-OSS

Well it looks to be a good lens for a Superzoom. It compares favorably to offerings from other camera makers. In fact, one could argue it is the best superzoom available.

That said, it is not in the same league as the less ambitious FE zooms including the kit zoom FE28-70. For any reasonable person this makes sense as a superzoom is about convenience. the fact that it does reasonably well is gravy. In the end, it does better than your lens at every focal length yours doesn't cover and that's the point.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks for the link, Gary. And I agree, this lens is about convenience. I was very happy not to be constantly swapping lenses on my last trip down south. And all of the "rejects" from that trip had much more to do with my shortcomings than the lens's. :rolleyes:

3. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    I was surprised to see this lens at my local Best Buy the other day. Smaller than I was expecting in person! I can see this lens being my zoom choice over the 70-200mm for the convenience and size, although I'm kind of curious to see if there will be anything longer on the roadmap. But the performance of the 24-240 seems good enough that it could replace my 28-70. It looks like it performs similarly in the 28-35mm range.