DXO tests the 24-70 F2.8 GMaster

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by WestOkid, Jul 1, 2016.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    I know DXO is not the bible, but I have to admit, I am always interested in their tests. I do use it as "one" of my references when buying a lens. Mainly because despite what people say about the transparency of their numbers, my subjective use tends to lineup with their tests.

Now for the GM. It seems to be a very nice lens, but I am kinda disappointed by its showing. It doesn't match the Canon or Nikon in sharpness. If you look at the sharpness field map wide open the difference is staggering off center. Beyond that, the Sony does really well.

This does confirm the Sony GM can hang with the best standard zooms available. However, Sony went on and on about these lenses being different and how they were the new standard for high resolution sensors. Now we see that even with the advantage of a target reference all they managed was a competitive lens that is bigger, heavier and more expensive than Canon. I honestly would buy a Metabones and Canon 24-70 II before I buy this lens.

Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM review: Best zoom in the range | DxOMark
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Hm. I think I'd do the same. Even if you add the adapter, the Canon is still smaller and would weigh only slightly more.

But I see where they still haven't gotten around to testing Sony lenses on an A7RII. I wonder how much difference that might make. :hmmm:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    FWIW, the 24-70/2.8 E Nikkor has not been particularly well-received compared to its predecessor, the G version, with many preferring the G version.

So perhaps the real challenge is the Sony G Master vs the Canon L. It was my understanding that the G Master series was designed in a different manner than previous Sony lenses, with computer modeling that allowed the designers to determine bokeh without actually building a prototype. I thought this approach was novel, certainly saving on production costs, but it remains to be seen how well the lenses operate in real world conditions.
  4. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 9, 2013
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    I still might consider the Sony, if I wanted such a lens. DxO's tests are at close distances, at infinity, things are different, according to Lensrentals.

Having 50lpmm reaching nearly 80% in the center is simply mind-blowingly good.

And at 70mm, the Sony is pretty awesome, too.
    • Informative Informative x 1

DYNOBOB TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Not testing it on a 7R2 seems inexcusable? The newest firmware available for the 7R doesn't make it "fully compatible" with the GM (only the latest 7R2 update gets the fully compatible check mark). I'm far from an expert but pretty sure I can see more than 2 P-Mpix difference between my 24-70z and 24-70gm.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  6. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    I want that 24-70 G Master, I have seen some stunning images made with it.
  7. Chris Munden

Chris Munden TalkEmount Regular

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    Using an adaptor on E mount for other brands such as Canon or even Sony A mount seems to be a good option. But with A mount you lose OSS, but with Canon you get OSS, depending on which Sony 7 has IBIS.
    Its messy and I'm tempted to move to a system where you don't have to do these mix and matches. There is no doubt the Sony 24-70 G is a super lens but for those of us down at the consumer end of the hobby, its out of reach at least for me.
  8. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    On my a6000 I use a Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 with a Nikon Mount and Adaptor. Yes it is a little heavy and you loose AF but it is Optically Stabilized and with the use of Peaking Mode, Manual Focus is pretty quick