1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DXO One - 1" iPhone camera

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by HabsFan, Jun 18, 2015.

1. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Well, it is copying the Sony one already...

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Cell phone photography is becoming quite good.

4. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
  5. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    One issue I have with the Panasonic is that it is a pretty big phone and with an already outdated OS + $1000. It's nice that it is all in one unit.

DXO lens is also a f1.8 vs the 2.8 of the Panasonic. It makes for a bulkier combo overall but it does add a bit more of a camera type grip/shutter the way that it attaches to the phone. I would not buy one of these for $600 but do welcome the idea and interested what future models will come out of this. The way I see this thing is that it could be something you have in a jacket or your car for when you need it.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Adding a fixed lens camera to a fixed lens iPhone makes little sense to me, even if it comes with a much better sensor. Especially when the focal length of this add-on camera is so similar to the one built in to the iPhone. Had they designed this thing with a zoom lens, I could see the point. But my RX100III fits in my pocket, has a fast 24-70 equivalent zoom lens, the same 1" sensor, plus a viewfinder. So I'm not going to be tempted to buy one of these.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tillman

tillman TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    The connector being the only physical mount between the phone and camera seems like it would be quite fragile to me. Also I'm skeptical of a 1" sensor camera produced by DXO beating out full frame sensors in DXO tests. If the output matches full frame for resolution, dynamic response, high ISO performance, etc. as it seems they are claiming I think that's pretty cool but I'd like to hear that from a subjective third party and not from the guys that make the tests.

All that said, I'm sure it's going to be quality product and I certainly wouldn't turn one down if someone offered one to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    This concept could really be a game changer once USB Type C is more main stream. Higher and faster data rates. I'd plug a rx100m4 sensor into my phone via Type C and snap RAW photos all day long if it said Sony on the side. :dance4: