DxO FilmPack 3 free until August 15

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by WestOkid, Aug 1, 2014.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks for the tip. I may have to give this a whirl as I consider all of my post-processing options in the aftermath of the Aperture/iPhoto-to-Photos "transition."

3. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Thanks for the info. Gotta grab it right away.

4. LoFi

LoFi TalkEmount Regular

Nov 16, 2013
    Eliot
    i got it, flipped thru them all, but wasnt very impressed :(

5. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    I sent my email and got nothing from them

6. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Just had a play, does what it says on the tin. If you are looking for an old school film look... Not something I'll be using often, but for free I'm not complaining!

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Not compatible with Lightroom 5 :(. But as they say in Dutch, "You shouldn't look a horse in the mouth that was given for free."

• Like Like x 2
  8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    +1

9. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    From the website, I understand that it works also as a standalone app, is that correct?
    Oh heck... I'll just download it and give it a try... No harm done, right?

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

10. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Does anyone know if it should work as a plug-in for any other versions of Lightroom or PhotoShop? I was only given the option for standalone installation so I am just not sure. I don't know where this plug-in would fit into the workflow, but it seems like we can't use it with RAW images with it working in this way... I made a move away from DNG conversions, so not sure if it just doesn't work with the Sony ARW files, or if it is JPEG only.

Regardless, it's free and I have always wanted to try it out! ;-)

11. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Photoshop CS5 works, I had to set the plugin directory manually during install though (Mac). It has CS3/4/6 as options as well in the installer though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    At installation I chose the custom mode and I got a list of programs for which to install it as a plugin. When checking Lightroom it deleted the check mark after a short time: the installer was probably checking for the right version of Lightroom and my version 5 obviously didn't qualify. The installer automatically checked Photoshop CS6 which has been installed indeed and I was able to open the plugin in Photoshop for a file that I had opened from LR. I'm pretty sure that this doesn't have anything to do with raw or jpeg processing. While it works within Photoshop I'd much prefer using a Lightroom plugin.

I already have 2 other programs that offer B&W processing, viz. Nik Silver Efex and Perfect Effects, and every time I end up just doing the B&W conversions in Lightroom itself. I expect that this DxO Filmpack will tempt me as little as the other 2 options. As for color processing, I can do without all the color balance defects of film, thank you very much! Your mileage may vary, of course.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I will have to try a few things to see what can be done. I will try it in Windows too. I think I have removed all earlier versions of Lightroom, but I am not 100% sure right now. I will let you know if I find anyway around it.

14. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
    to be honest DxO is the best software going around if you are a lazy PP, the lens/cam profiles do most of the work for you
    bugger just clicked the link -seems to have expired