1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dust on my senssor

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Apr 2, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    some of my pictures are having a small dot at the same place, which I guess is coming from dust to the sensor :(

Could you please suggest me the gear to buy for cleaning it and how should I do that?

Is there also something I can do in the mean time before the cleaning hardware arrives as I want to take photos this evening too?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help

R.
    Alex

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Easiest thing to do is to buy a Giottos Rocket blower, blow the dust out and check if the spot is gone. Failing that, you'll have to have it cleaned by someone else or buy other stuff for wet cleaning.

A lot of programs like Lightroom offer dust removal functions, so you can use that to repair it. In Lightroom you can even copy the settings to multiple other files so that can be done quickly.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Does the sensor tolerate that blowing against it?

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes. But don't touch the sensor (or the glass 'Hot mirror' over it). Don't use canned air. It is in reality a fluorocarbon (freon) and is extremely good grease solvent and it will spread grease all over hot mirror.

It is easy to check where the dust is. Put the camera into minimum iso, lens to minimum aperture and focused to infinity and shoot a even white subject with a long exposure moving the camera. That way real image is blurred away and only dust remains in image.

5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Anything I can try too this evening before the new blower arrives?

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Take pictures and remove dust in post processing. Do not try to be innovative with cleaning. It is quite tough job not to generate more dust when cleaning the sensor. Bob Atkins has got two articles about sensor cleaning.
    Digital Sensor Cleaning - Part I
    Digital Camera Sensor Cleaning - Part Deux

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    There's also the "sensor clean" function on your Nex menu that you can try...

8. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I got stupid once and blasted my NX sensor with canned "air". I got a rainbow of tiny specks all over it. In the end I cleaned it off with Isopropanol and old lens tissue paper. It turned out nice and clean but I could just as well have ruined the sensor completely.

The moral of the story is that dust on the sensor is the least of your problems.

My tip is to use the built in vibration cleaner and a rubber blower. If you have a dust blob or two after that, just erase them in Lightroom. Sooner or later they will fall off anyway.

9. Purushotham Racharla

Purushotham Racharla TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 7, 2013
    Bangalore, India.
    Purushotham Racharla
    The cleaning procudure with rocket blower can be found in the manual itself. Please go thru that. Remember yr camrea without lense can collect more dust during your attempt to clean, if u d idnt follow necessary precautions. The bloweer needs to be absolutely clean, and so shdould be your work table. Clean well the whole camrea and more particularly around lense mount. Keep the lense opening facing down all the time including while blowing.

It is wise to try out the inbulit camrea function for cleaning and go for blwoing only if it didnt work. But even during cleaning the camera should face down so that loosensed dirt doesnt remain on the sensor itself.

10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I have used this sensor cleaner on four different (µ4/3 & NEX) cameras now with excellent results. Yes, you do touch the glass covering the sensor, but AFAIK the warnings not to do so are seriously out-of-date. In any case, it has done a great job of removing sensor specks that the in-camera cleaning procedure and blower couldn't dislodge. And there is no damage at all to the sensor as long as you exercise ordinary caution.

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have been thinking to get one of these. I have been very happy with lenspen, works great when cleaning dismantled objektives.

12. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I use something very similar to Davids method above. Used it on several cameras and haven't damaged a sensor yet. You aren't actually touching the sensor as such, only the filter in front of it. As far as I understand it anyway.

Normally a rocket blower gets rid of the dust though, I only use the cleaning "pen" on stubborn dust spots.

13. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Has anyone ever heard of someone actually damaging the sensor? I've done some pretty stupid things in the past, but never did any permanent damage with it. Think cleaning the sensor of a Nikon D300s and accidentally switching off the camera, causing the mirror to bang into the pad I was using. Or a Panasonic G1 that I tried several things on to remove some stubborn spots; after a number of tries with different things I finally succeeded and again no damage.

I don't want to advocate reckless behaviour but on the other hand there's no real need to refrain from trying to clean a sensor. The fact that Sony NEX cameras don't have IBIS should make cleaning a relatively straightforward procedure, unlike the Olympus E-M5.

14. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    I tried using lens pens before but always ended up with permanent marks on my lenses. I'm thinking these marks will affect IQ more on the sensor than on the lens. (If you damage the sensor filter that will also affect IQ and they are expensive to replace).

Anyway, I stopped using lens pens.

In fact, the only time I will ever touch a lens or a sensor is if there is smudging on them that can't be removed in any other way. Otherwise it's best not to touch.

15. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I've never heard of damage being done to a sensor through cleaning. I have cleaned Canon sensors pretty vigorously on a couple of occasions with no problem.

The only camera sensor I might be wary of cleaning is the Fuji X Pro or XE because they do not have a filter in front of the sensor. That said, I have contacted Fuji on the subject and, whilst I can't remember all of their instructions (filed away somewhere), the process was very similar to my usual approach.

Sensor cleaning is a bit of a nerve racking experience the first time you do it.

16. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Arghhh!

Hi,
    after spending an evening blowing the sensor with a type of blower, not the one you suggested as it has not been delivered yet... I still I am seriously stuck with the dust.
    This is what you see for an image taken on a whiteish surface. Setting were ISO 200, f 22, exposure time 2 seconds.
    [​IMG]
    1. As you can see there is one at the top of the image which is visible also on the sensor's surface but it does not seem to move at all :(
    2. It looks that there is also a circle type of noise at the upper left corner (larger than the previous one).

3. Do you see more of other problems in the uploaded image (not the best possible one)

4. Is it so common to have those sensor dusts ?

5. Please recommend me specific hardware to use if needed apart of this blower.

6. At the manual says "When cleaning the image sensor with a blower, do not blow too hard.". What is too hard ? :p
    R.
    A

17. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I agree that using the lens pen is the choice when all other methods fail. But were you using the lens pen intended for sensors when you got those permanent marks, or the lens pen intended for lenses?

18. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Alaois, sensor dust comes with the territory. But I've never had a sharp black spot like yours. Dust blobs usually come out like blurry circles like the one in the top left corner. If it's a foreign object it should come off. Try using the folded corner of a piece of paper to dislodge the black speck, without touching anything else.

Anyway, as to the danger of touching optics, you can see it most clearly if you rub the lens of a movie projector. When you shine a bright light through the lens, it will reveal all marks on it. I once went from a clear but dusty lens to a completely scratched up one by simply using a normal lens cloth on it. Basically all manual contact causes damage, even if the eye can't always see it.

Rubbing with a cloth or a lens pen is often cosmetic, replacing something that the eye can see, like dust, with something that it can't, like microscratches or coating damage.

19. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It has not been uncommon in my experience. But I don't take extraordinary care when changing lenses, and I don't find cleaning the sensor to be anything but routine maintenance these days.

As for the circle in the upper left, it may be a speck of dust on (or in) your lens. It's hard to say for sure.

Some perspective: how often will you be shooting at f/22? I can think of only one time I did that intentionally.

20. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I shooted f/22 as I thought this is a nice way to find the dust spots. Any tips on cleaning that tough one with not destroying anything?