1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dunnottar Castle

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by alterstill, Oct 21, 2013.

1. alterstill

alterstill TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 27, 2013
    Aberdeen
    Wlod
    Hello there

One of many castles in Scotland. Please C&C, however I do not expect much since I heard mostly negative comments on DPR.
    [​IMG]

Hmm, somehow link to the image doesn't work. Please try link below.
    http://alterstill.com/image/64374625966

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 7
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, I think it's a beautiful image. As for C&C, about the only thing I might have changed is to crop out the little yellow field on the left to make the castle and the sky more prominent.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It's an lovely scene. Well composed, well exposed, great color. The major issue I have with it is that the subject is such a small portion of the frame that it tends to get lost.

• Like Like x 1
  4. alterstill

Feb 27, 2013
    Aberdeen
    Wlod
    Thanks for your comments. I composed the frame this way because I wanted the castle to be a part of the scene but not to take it over entirely (there are probably hundreds of such images on google). I was thinking about cropping out left part of the frame but then castle would not be in strong point. I even have tested it and didn't like it.
    Thanks again for you comments, much appreciate them.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, based on that you might consider cropping off the top to just below the dark clouds (which really aren't doing anything for the pic). The castle will still be part of the overall scene rather than a larger part of it, but still be a little more prominent for not having to compete with all that sky.

Personal taste of course. :)

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I think its a great photo - love the colours and composition too but I think Bimjo last suggestion (cropping out the dark clouds) might work ;)

7. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    It is good you ask for critique on your picture. Negative comments push you higher, mass "liking" not at all.
    I saw a lot of pictures of Dunnotar castle, as it is one of the most famous castle in Scotland.
    Your picture is well exposed, but composition is poor. Photo should be named "Green field and blue sky" rather than castle... Light is poor too. You will come back to this place in another weather and daytime and try another angle of view! ;-) Good luck!

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I dig it, but would love a closer up view as well.

9. alterstill

Feb 27, 2013
    Aberdeen
    Wlod
    I wanted the castle to be a small part of the composition. Didn't want to "photocopy" hundreds of similar attempts - can use google images for that. I simply dislike to follow the rules all the time - it is boring. Obviously doing so it is easy to become a target for real pro photographers.
    I may come back or I may not. Thankfully I live in free country.

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Absolutely no issue with your thought process or your results. Just remember that when you stray outside the norm and ask for opinions on your efforts you're going to get them and they may not line up with your vision. You asked for opinions and you got them, nothing requires that you agree with them.

As I said previously, it's a nice pic. I (and others) might have done it differently, but that's no reason to not come back. I take photos for me, not for others. If others like them that's a bonus, but it isn't what drives me to take photos, that's internal.

I hope you decide to stick around, if not I wish you good shooting. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I get it, just probably would have cut it down a bit.

Perhaps like this
    tumblr_muuwpvm15a1rk7y5qo1_1280.

12. alterstill

Feb 27, 2013
    Aberdeen
    Wlod
    It's all fine. I take pictures long enough not to get upset because someone has different vision. I often try to shoot odd angles, it's fun and makes taking pictures much more interesting experience.
    I shall have a look from time to time here. I am kinda bored with gear driven forums like Dpreview - it is hardly photography forum anymore.

13. alterstill

Feb 27, 2013
    Aberdeen
    Wlod
    Thank you all for all your comments. Much appreciate most of them.