1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DSLR styled E-mount camera

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by Aurora, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Aurora

Aurora TalkEmount Regular

"Project Alpha Fox:
    Sony is working on a new NEX camera concept. The working project is called “Project Alpha Fox“. This will be Sony’s first E-mount camera with classic DSLR design. Something that has been done before by Panasonic (with the G and GH series) and Olympus (OMD series). The camera is an entry level E-mount that will have to compete against the Canon REBEL series. That’s what Sony managers are targeting for: beat the Rebel performance for the same price. Features and release date are yet still not known and as usual I will work to get some more info soon."

(SR5) There will be a new DSLR styled E-mount camera! | sonyalpharumors

2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    That's bad news because that would simple be a 'me too' project from Sony, which in turn looks like they have run out of ideas. The NEX range were something VERY different and the cameras that many people including me were looking for...ie the first APS-C mirrorless models.

Mirrorless made to 'ape' DSLR is a very poor idea design wise...actually the worst of both worlds! Looking to Sony and others to do better than this, frankly!

3. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    But E mount is missing in the long lens department big time. Heck they don't even have a 100-300 zoom let alone decent prime teles. That really is not competition for any other camera maker at all. I doubt Canon would be worried in that case.

All the best and not clever IMO if its true.

Danny.

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    If this is a replacement for A-mount and involves a hybrid mount system, I think it's a great move to tide over the Alpha A-mount folks. However if it's merely to appease people who insist a DSLR-shaped camera is the only 'true' serious photography tool, then it's a terrible idea. Form over function for questionable reasons, and smacks of me-tooism. Samsung and Panasonic haven't been particularly successful with theirs (GH3 too niche and pricey to storm the market, G5/6 and NX10/20 are seemingly getting very incremental upgrades that suggest there's not a lot of resources going into these bodies, compared with, e.g., NX1000 / GF / GX series cameras.

For me to be interested in such a camera, first, it must have features the normal NEX bodies lack - namely IBIS and DSLR-speed AF. I can accept a bigger body for those two features, assuming Sony can't figure out how to make these work in their rangefinder shaped bodies. If it's just a NEX-6/7 with bigger housing then I don't see the point at all.

5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I was wondering where the hybrid model went. Rumors were all abuzz for a while, then nothing. When the rumors came up for the NEX-FF and a mirrorless Alpha, I though surely one of those two would be the hybrid mount.

I agree that if this "entry" level model is a dual mount, they have a chance.

6. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
  7. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I bought my NEX-7 in spite of, not because of its overall compactness. I'd like to see a high end version of this concept. (Enhanced ergos for my big man hands, better balance for large lenses and more battery capacity? Yes, please!!)

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I don't miss extra controls and there is mode switch on top. It is significant improvement for me as I switch between M and A modes and occasionally forget that. It has ISO 100, possibility use remote shutter release, ISO hot shoe, E-mount, EVF and cheap price. I will probably get one when they are available in Finland. I think that it will be perfect for me for portraits and macro. C3 will be the carry along camera.

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if the full frame Nex would be released in this form factor.

I think that DSLR and compact form factors will complement each other. Same native lenses but different uses.

10. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    This seems like an easy way to get new buyers into the e-mount. The new body shouldn't require the more expensive engineering that the "classic" Nex models need. It shows a real commitment to the mount. It's not for me, but I think it's a clever move by Sony.

11. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    If SONY would has good amount of E-mount lens, this concept make a sense for me... But in this situation, when I would be novice i photography, I would rather go for Canon Rebel series or Nikon X000 series... which have very wide amount of superb quality lenses and accesorize in same weight package... (maybe little bigger dimesions, but it doesn´t play role in this case..) and with VERY fast AF, too...

This clever move by SONY will be follow only by not so clever people... IMHO ;)

12. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I would only consider moving to a DSLR shaped NEX if there was no other way to fit in a number of key features such as in body stabilization, fast AF, etc. I'd rather get a Panasonic G6 than this at the moment, far too buttonless for a DSLR body for me - if I must use a bigger body there must be some advantage over the smaller body and I'm not seeing it. Granted I'm very much not in Sony's target market for this camera. This looks far more superzoom body (and here I mean cheap superzoom, not better ones like the FZ200) than DSLR body to me.

13. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Interesting to see DPReview's initial impression. Sounds like the build and EVF/LCD are pretty cheesy, but I guess that goes with the super-low price point they're gunning for. Apparently the DSLR form is mostly for show, just to lure in consumers who want that appearance of seriousness. :confused:

Definitely not my cup of tea. But if it helps bolster the viability of e-mount and lights a fire under CaNikon, I guess I'm all for it.

To be honest, if I had a buddy shopping around in this price range, I think I'd have to steer him/her to the Rebel T3 over this offering.

14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, I think that EVF/LCD are too bad for any serious use. For me Nex C3 LCD is good enough and it has 4 times more pixels. Too bad, I have to wait for next model.

In some rumors the EVF has got 1.44 MP and that sounds good. I think that at least one of EVF or LCD must be usable. In more expensive models better and articulating LCD and some more gismos.

15. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    As a digital back for the 800mm, this is darn good IMO. The low res EVF doesn't worry me much for what I have in mind, if a camera never had a rear LCD it would not worry me, never use it to be honest. So I'm looking at the sensor and the shutter button only, hmmm. darn good price for what I want one for. Focus peaking is a must as well before I forget that and a slow burst is a must, yep it would work well.

All the best and nice box.

Danny.

16. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I will get one if the EVF is decent (it probably is, Sony just don't tell its pixel count but it doesn't make sense to make camera with bad EVF and bad LCD) and EVF will be bright when using non dedicated flash. For macro & portrait photography.

17. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    From DPR......

"The Sony A3000's electronic viewfinder is small and fairly low resolution by today's standards, with a 201,600-dot LCD, with a choice of auto or manual brightness adjustment. A diopter wheel on the left side of the viewfinder allows adjustment from -4.0 to +3.5. As is common with EVFs, the viewfinder housing sticks out more than the average SLR. The lack of a rubber bumper raises the risk of scratching one's glasses while using the A3000."

So we will see what it ends up like :)

18. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Jep. I think that 200 kP refers to LCD and not to the EFV. At least I hope so. EFV resolution isn't mentioned anywhere in official data but 200 kP is absolutely outdated. A58 has got 1.44 MP EFV and it would make sense. 200 kP is enough for menus but it is more akin to mobile phones than cameras.

19. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
  20. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013