Dropped my Mac (probably to death) last night

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nianys, Jan 25, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Guys, just a note to let u know I broke my faithful MacBook Pro by dropping it off the couch's armrest last night. Stupid, unfortunate wrong move, off it went and I couldn't stop it.
    It turns on and off but just displays a solid whitish grey screen. It also makes a faint rhythmic beeping sound. Not very promising, LOL.
    So I probably won't able to process or post any picture in the coming week(s). I can contribute text via my iPhone or husband's Mac, but I don't want to install software of put data on his disk.
    The laptop will ship to the repair center tomorrow, at the worst I need my data extracted so it can BR transferred on a new unit (which sucks because there goes my Fuji X-E1 money...)
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA

Oh man...I'm so sorry to hear that. I would be lost without my Mac. It might be something simple (and not sooo expensive) so maybe it won't eat up all your X-E1 money. :(
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    D'oh! That bites! Here's hoping it's just a loose connector or something similarly (relatively) cheap to fix.
  4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
  5. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    Thx boyz :) it might be a connector that came lose, wouldn't that be cool ?
    I'll do what I have to if needed, but that probably won't keep me from getting the X-E1, LOL
  6. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    That's what you get for deserting the Nex lol, now honestly I feel your pain I paid for my nex then next minuet my mac started screaming at me of to the repair center only $250 to fix but had to go without it for 2 weeks. Here's me with a new camera and no mac so I had to revert to my 4 year old windows laptop my god they are crap lol. Thank god its all fixed now hopefully it wont cost you to much or take to long to get it fixed.
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Good luck, I wish you a swift and cheap repair.
  8. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Oh balls! Hope it's a minimal issue and you can post more gorge pics soon :)

P.s I don't have a Mac or a NEX either, bummer.
  9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Damn, sorry to hear this Claire :( and hope everything goes well in the end and doesn't cost much
  10. txbkst

txbkst TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Yikes! Sorry to hear that. :-( Fingers crossed that it will be something minor!
  11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That sounds lot like hard disk or memory problem. The bios isn't finding the operating system etc.. In the best case ram module is loose. Those beeps are probable some kind of error code, you could probably google it up if you still have the machine and haven't delivered it to the service.
  12. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    I even can't afford a Mac, still working with a Windows XP PC but still runs fine...
    Hope you get it back from repair soon and without paying too much.
    Would be hard for me too without the PC.
    But good to have still internet access via your phone... time to buy Tapatalk if you don't own it yet.
  13. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    Thx for the possible diagnostic, that's kinda what I hoped to hear. The fall was minor, so it's likely something came lose but it won't be lethal. Will know during the week.
  14. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Man, I hate hearing someone dropped a computer. Makes me shudder. I hope yours is easily (and inexpensively) fixed.