Drive mode, remote control and bracketing

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mrwinter, May 20, 2013.

1. mrwinter

mrwinter TalkEmount Rookie

May 7, 2013
    Hi all,

Does anyone have a solution for using a remote control in combination with bracketing or othe drive modes on the nex-6?

I would have thought an obvious application for remote control would be for taking multiple shots, for example at differnt exposure leves, without touching the camera, to do (manual) HDR, for example. In drive mode, one can choose bracketing mode OR remote control, but no combination.

In bracketing mode, you need to hold down the shutter button to take all three shots. I think this is crap.

I then bought the expensive RMT-DSLR2 controller wich appears to be next to useless. So you can take one photo at a time by pressing the remote contol. Yay. I could do this with the 2 second timer. You can't combine it with bracketing or any other drive mode. And I don't know what the other 50 buttons do either. The menu button and half the others do nothing and some of the other buttons have some function under some conditions during playback. There is no manual for using the remote with nex-6 - both manuals refer to the other manual. This crappy remote should be classed as 'partly' compatible with the nex, and there should be clear documentation for which buttons carry out which functions. - especially so that people can read the documentation before hand and decide not to buy it. Really, the fact you need to buy the remote, then test which buttons do what is absurd.

I downloaded the remote smart phone app, which can be used for this purpose, but it takes ages to set up, and the way you change the exposure comp is extremely cumbersome (with the stupid slider scale and the fact it needs feedback from the camera for every increment). So the smart phone remote app is a fun toy for impressing friends (actually, they just think I'm a nerd) but I don't think I'll ever use it for photography.

Finally, there appears to be some sort of bracketing app., which you need to buy. And I don't happen to have a credit card. Great idea sony! - I just spent close to a grand on a camera and now I need to pay $5 for a basic camera function. Even apple doesn't charge for basic apps like an email client, or the ability to make phone calls.

Does anyone have experience with the brackting pro app.? Is it usable, or only selectable in combination with auto plus with smile detection or some other crap?

Any other ideas for combining bracketing with remote control or timer?

Thanks.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I don't know about the bracket pro app - although the price is okay as this app offers not only shutter speed-, but also focus- and aperture bracketing, which are very rare in cameras.

My solution for this is simply use the RMT-DSLR2 and change the exp compensation on camera between the shots. Using a stable tripod this usually yields perfectly fine results.

3. mrwinter

mrwinter TalkEmount Rookie

May 7, 2013
    Thanks for the advice, Poki. I was hoping I'd just missed a menu setting or option. Oh well.

I plan to get away with an 'unstable' mini tripod for many uses, but I will try the bracket pro app.

Its not the $5 that concerns me, rather the inconveneince of the payment method etc. and the trivial nature of the exrercise (camera about $1000, total price of all the nex apps offered - about $30 - so a practically-minded company would just add $15 to the cost of the camera and make the apps free).

... and sure enough, my papal credit is floating around somewhere between my bank account (where it is missing) and my sony 'wallet' (where it has not arrived) with no clear explanation of what is actually supposed to happen. The exercise of paying the $5 has already cost me well over $5 in time screwing around.

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Why do you use an unstable tripod? That a tripod is small and light does NOT mean it has to be unstable! I recently bought a Sirui T-005X travel tripod, and - after removing the middle column - it's totally awesome! Just about as stable as you could wish for - and weighs just about a kilogram with head (the carbon fibre version is even lighter).

No. Adding 15 to the camera price would be a bad thing, as I don't know many people who need three apps ... That would mean paying more for the same functions for most.

Never trust Paypal.