DPreview has now posted the RX-1 review

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Bill, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    The RX-1 gets their highest rating. The review says that the results are based on a production model, but the studio scene comparisons seem to be the same as they used in the preview. (To my eye, the NEX-7 RAW results are better.)

2. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    More often a point of discussion, not fast and accurate Autofocus Nex enough. A quote from the test of Dpreview on the RX-1 which is €2800,-

will cost.

Conclusion - Cons

Autofocus speed not quick enough for fast-moving subjects

Autofocus struggles in low light

3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Better AF than a Leica! ;)
    Of course it's a bit apples and oranges, but the comparison does come up a few times, as the Sony does fare quite favorably on a few key points, including size and IQ.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think more than anything this is an indicator of what Sony is capable of. I should think they'll take what they learn from this and apply it to the supposed FF NEX that is supposed to be here next year.

5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    weird that they had issues with the AF. I watched a demo video the other day in a very dim office and the RX-1 locked consistently and with decent speed on just about everything ...?...

6. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    Let me see a fixed 35mm lens I believe. That might make things a bit dodgy as a camera that can cover everyday shooting for most folks. And if moving your feet is the solution beware of those situations where you to need to get more in the image and your back is against a wall or your standing on the edge of a cliff and needing to get closer. Oh that’s right, it’s only $2800.00. But I do understand, it will be marketed for “Pro” photographers.
    Bruce

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I don't think Sony or anyone else considers the RX-1 as a general use camera. If it fits your vision for your photography it's a killer deal. If it doesn't fit your vision it's a non-starter. Horses for courses as it were. :)

8. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    DPreview has now provided the lens review for the RX-1 and the results are very different from what it looks like in the studio comparison shots in the camera review. Very impressive, Sony.

9. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I don't understand why anyone has an attitude about a piece of gear. It seems that the RX1 is not the tool for you, especially given the price. I'm in the exact same boat, but I appreciate what Sony is doing here in terms of moving the needle. Maybe something from the RX1 will trickle down in to a camera that offers me the appropriate functionality and value. Or maybe not. Either way, the RX1 doesn't bother me in any way. It's just a camera.