Don't forget your permit.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by johnson4096, Jul 5, 2017.

1. johnson4096

johnson4096 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2016
    Dan Johnson
    Friends, a word of warning for those about to visit one of the many beautiful state and federal parks - if a permit is required to hike a trail or go climbing or BMXing, buy the darned thing! Enforcement has stepped up and there is a "no warning" policy in effect.

A friend of mine visited a popular state park in Washington state and received a $250 citation for hiking on a trail without a permit. He was shocked for he's been visiting and hiking said park for 4 decades. No longer will a simple 'day-use fee' cover you if a trail permit is required.

And don't try to save a few bucks by skipping that 'day-use fee.' There is enforcement now and that can bring a pretty hefty fine and/or a tow for your vehicle. A popular Cascade foothills state park near my home has enforcement in the form of ticket writers. That did surprise me for I'm a frequent visitor and I can count on one hand the times I've actually seen a ranger or traffic officer before this season.

Blame budget cutbacks and the messes people too often leave behind. Someone has to pay for the cleanup and trail maintenance. Without money budgeted for it, that someone is us.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    Along the same lines........ don't wait too long. Pass allows you and 3 guests in any National Park or Monument. Mine has paid for itself many times over.

From a recent article.....

Even better, senior citizens (62+) can purchase a lifetime pass to America's national parks for just $10, which gets you into every park for free. It's a deal worth getting on top of, because the price is about to rise to $80, according to Time. The National Park Service has not announced when the price hike is going to happen, but it's coming soon. That means it's an excellent weekend to take advantage of the price because you can get in for free and it's a flat $10 if you purchase your lifetime pass on site. If you purchase it online, there's an additional $10 processing fee.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    What?????:eek-30:

4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I've always thought it was silly that you have to pay to visit or actually do most anything but sightsee from the road in a national park. Yes, I know the supporting arguments, and that they budget assuming collecting the fees, etc. Still seems a little silly to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I agree, it's silly what they charge. I believe the one person entry is $27. Strange given that the land was declared a public monument/park. Our tax money is earmarked towards it. You don't see a fee to see the national monuments in Washington DC...yet.
    $80 sounds unreasonable.
    BTW, go and photograph in the parks with equipment that looks too nice...and the rangers will accost you to see your photographer's permit. You must cease and desist or be fined and/or have your gear confiscated.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    That's unreal, in the UK there are no such fee's implemented or restrictions on using cameras in public parks etc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I was in court once and a fishing without a license penalty was a Felony. Pretty insane.

• Wow Wow x 3
  8. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    They are targeting commercial photographers. To collect their pound of flesh, so to speak. But since there is no viable way to differentiate between amateur and pro, they gauge you by the level of your gear. Taking pics or video on a smartphone, they will ignore you.

9. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    It's a nice scheme to strip citizens of a far more important right than to fish unmolested...the right to vote. Gerrymandering across this country is not the only way to tamper an election. (Besides the loss of voting rights, your ability to leave the USA is also restricted.)

10. davect01

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

The Judge clearly told them, go home, get a license and it will be forgiven.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf
    ............and still, there's not a better place in the world to live.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Haha, I think that depends on you geographic location, I'm sure most folk would say that of the country they live in.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf
    But I had to say it. :th_salute:

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    That's good at least!
    I was making a statement regarding classifying what seems to be petty 'crimes' as Felonies these days.

15. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I think we all agree that here is the best place to live.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. davect01

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It is pretty wild that it would be classified as a Felony.