1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Don't forget to clean your sensor

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davect01, Apr 25, 2015.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I was watching this video and realized there is a reoccurring sensor dust spot.

A shame on an otherwise well shot video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I had that same thing happen when I was reviewing a couple dozen landscape shots after an outing.....had a spot in the sky.
    Ever since then I carry a large Rocket Blower in a ziploc bag and blast the daylights out of the sensor & lens before such a shoot.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That REALLY sucks. I know I have had a few show-up, but was able to edit them out.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Dust on the sensor has been a real PITA. Especially discovering hundreds, sometimes thousands of photos are dotted. :mad:
    Seems to be more prevalent with my mirrorless body than my Canon DSLR.

Got so bad yesterday that I wet swabbed the sensor at the end of the day. This morning I went to capture the turbulent weather in town.....I find two new spots that weren't there previously. Granted, I live in a very dusty part of the country.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    You really have to be careful, and even then it is going to happen.

One of the few annoyances with mirrorless.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Yes, the shallow exposed sensor is easy to contaminate. And it has been quite windy both days.

7. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    A tip i learned is always make sure the camera is off before changing lenses. There is a small magnetic charge when the sensor is on that attracts dust like flies. Also pressing the camera against your body when changing lenses in the field is a good habit as well.

Dave, have you ever used that sticky sensor stick cleaner thingy? I've been thinking about getting one.

• Agree Agree x 1