1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Don't always believe what you read.........

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by TedG954, Feb 24, 2016.

1. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    Well, in preparation for this season's Cleveland Adventure, and as a gift for my birthday (I'm a really good gift-giver), my new Sony FE28/2 just arrived.

I took it out of the box, mounted it on my A7II, and stepped outside my door.

If I would have just based my choice on the "terrible distortion" reviews, I may not have gotten this lens. I'm glad I didn't believe everything I read.

Here are the first 3 photos ever taken. You can form your own opinion, but I think this combo is a real winner. (There is no post-processing, other than conversion from RAW and re-sizing)

They were all taken at F2 ISO100 on a very overcast afternoon.

DSC02736.
    DSC02737.
    DSC02738.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 9
  2. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf
    If you look close at the bottom photo..... just below dead-center, you can see our wild pea hen.

3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Hey Ted. I have the 28 too and I think it's a good lens. I mainly use it for indoor shots and use my 16-35 for landscapes.

I'm curious. Is there a reason you chose f2 for these shots? I ask because I initially thought the images were soft in the corners, but when I read your settings I realized that DOF is playing a role in what I was seeing. which is expected at F2.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf
    The truth is....... I took it out of the box and didn't adjust anything. The lens was set on F2 from the factory and my camera was already set on ISO100. I totally agree with your assessment and I too believe it is more DOF than just being soft. It was about to rain so I didn't venture or shoot further.

I purchased the lens for a downtown walk around. Street photos, etc. It's so small and compact.

• Like Like x 1
  5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    They look like real life to me...good deal

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    It's a good lens, if you like 28mm focal length. The distortion is corrected either in camera, or by the Raw converter, so it is really not a major problem.
    Good budget option, wish Sony would release more f1.8 or f2 lenses; I prefer 35 over 28:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I have it too and think it's a great lens, small light and good IQ, lens corrections are done by LR.
    Most of the reviews I read were positive which is why I got it.

Paul

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf
    Distortion? What distortion?

DSC02969.
    2-29-16 Elbo Room.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    these images are probably corrected JPEGS , you will only see the distortion on the RAW files before processing !

10. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf

That was the point of the Elbo Room posting. It's the same picture in both posts. One is untouched and the second is "corrected".

• Like Like x 1