Dog walking camera

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by pworden, Jan 24, 2018.

1. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Bryant, AR
    Patti
    I walk my dogs every day, and there are photo opportunities every day. However, I have TWO DOGS :) They are little, but mighty.

I have an a6000, but it can be a bit much deciding on which lens to bring, etc. I have a 16-55, 55-210 with the extender/adaptor (forget the name), 18-105 and 30 macro for that camera. This is important: My brother and fellow dog-walker, but Canon shooter (tons of lenses, etc), found that most of his shots in 2017 were with his little Leica, because he was on the dog walk and it was easier. It got me thinking about this.

I recently sold my A7s, so have a bit of funds. I'm thinking of purchasing either a RX100V or an RX10iV. I remember I loved my old Canon SX50 for the zoom/fun factor, but I'm pickier about image quality now than then. So, do you all think that the RX10iV would satisfy some BIF and be small enough on the the dog walk, or just go for the small RX100V and forget about BIF until a good lens for that?

The potential dog-walk shots are streams, plants, macro, birds... I do love BIF, but I realize from my picky-ness, to do that justice, I might need a Sigma ?-600 for my A7Rii.

So, in summary, do you think the RX10iV would serve well all-around and provide the zoom-cool factor, or should I stick with the smaller RX100V and forget about the zoom? I've already determined that the a6000 with the 55-210+adaptor is more difficult than I want.

Thanks!

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I have not had either one, but the RX10iv is not a small camera, even relative to your A6000 with kit lens. http://j.mp/2DyLrvO

If size/weight matters, I think you'd want the RX100V. I think the RX10iv would have better IQ, though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    The best camera is the one with you:) I have both and use them when I walk our puppy. Yes, RX10 IV is bigger, but gives you the reach, BIF, etc in a small package eg compared to Sigma ?-600mm lenses or even m43 set up that I have. RX100 IV/V is smaller and gives you portabilty plus 1 stop of light, but it will be limited. I usually need the reach as I am on the beach and our dog chases squarrels, birds, etc before I can get close... RX100 is more for landscape shots or close people/city shots. You can check the RX10 posts at FM:
    RX10 series official image thread

• Like Like x 1
  4. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    [slightly off the real topic...]
    My father, now passed away, enjoyed photography and loved to walk his neighbor's golden retriever, Max. When I would visit my dad, we would daily walk Max and carry along a camera, like his then-new Leica M8. This resulted in a few nice images and tons of shared love and great memories.

So, for dog walkers, my advice is to never pass up an opportunity to invite a friend or relative to walk with you and share the camera and the dog.

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    You have a lot of wants, and some are at each end of the spectrum. BIF requires a long lens and that makes it cumbersome. You seem to already have the most suited combo on hand. 55-210 is pretty small, yielding over 300mm FOV for BIF. But lacks some utility at the wide end. Perhaps pairing the a6000 with the newly announced 18-135mm APS-C E-mount would make for a more versatile combo. 207mm FOV at 135mm. Also smaller too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    Bryant, AR
    Patti
    Yes indeed!

7. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    Bryant, AR
    Patti
    Thanks, I’ll check that out. I think the RX10 IV is a fit for the type of shots I’d want, as long as I could do it one-handed at least some of the time.

8. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I think you have to decide whether portability or BIF are your most important criteria and choose accordingly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    Bryant, AR
    Patti
    D69C5E9A-E4FD-4045-B315-7B227DAAE829.jpeg
    What a nice memory. We enjoy the walks as much as the dogs, and often go together - he and his wife and their two dogs, me and my two dogs, so we often have one extra pair of hands available. My dogs are little ping pongs, at least at the start of the walk. Oh, and my brother’s name is Max.
    Here’s one of his dog walk photos.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    Bryant, AR
    Patti
    Interesting idea. One thing I’ll do is try my a6000 again and see how it goes before I commit to anything.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    Bryant, AR
    Patti
    Right, I know. I think good BIF really rules out either of these cameras, but I did enjoy the reach of the SX50 bridge camera, more for fun than anything, so that’s why it’s in the running for a dog walk camera. As usually, the problem is that I want it all ;)

12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I like walking with my dogs, and I like shooting photos. But I find that trying to do both at the same time usually leaves all of us unsatisfied. :rolleyes:

I had the RX100 III for a while, and while it was (jacket) pocketable, the images I got from it were a noticeable step down from the A7 I had at the same time. And I don't think BIF photos would be its strong suit. Shooting raw images with my phone camera usually does the trick when I want a pocketable/dog walk camera.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    Dog walker with a5100 here, and since my Sigma 60/2.8 got converted from m43 to e-mount that's been the lens I use the most.

• Like Like x 1
  14. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    I have both an rX10IV and RX100iv. I had A9 and A7Riii with 100-400 (briefly). I let the big cameras go because although they are both outstanding, for the kinds of use I have, which is mainly hiking and occasional backpacking, the rX10iv worked perfectly. It seems big but in the had it is fine. Even extended the lens is not as bulky as even the A6500 and 70-300 which I also have and like a lot. Most of the time I take the Rx10iv. The RX100iv is great for quick snaps of stationary objects but does not come close to the RX10iv for focus speed or, of course, range. I do not think you will be disappointed with the RX10iv but try to handle it a bit before buying. It is physically almost identical to the RX10iii so you could get an idea from that model if the iv is not easy to find.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  15. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    I can't help you with the BIF angle as I don't have any real experience there. However, if you are interested in a small carry camera you might try looking into a used NeX-3N.
    1. Small size
    2. Uses the lenses and batteries you already own.
    3. Inexpensive (It shouldn't cost more than $100 for good used body and if it doesn't work for you can likely be resold for what you pay for it.
    A couple shots I took last year with a used NEX-3N that I bought for $100. First shot with a Meike 2.0/50 manual E mount lens and second with the Sigma 2.8/60.
    2017-05-03 Trooper NEX3 Meike 50-20 03.jpg
    2017-05-14 Trooper 02 NEX3 Sigma 60-28 8x10.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  16. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    Bryant, AR
    Patti
    Thanks! Good to know,

17. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    Bryant, AR
    Patti
    Love those shots! I’m learning that I might as well take BIF out of consideration for the dog walk.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.