1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Does this remind you of anything?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by olli, Sep 1, 2011.

1. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    The new Samsung NX200 hands on at Photography Blog. And take a look at that number in the bottom corner.

2. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    It looks a lot like a NEX, doesn't it? Regardless, I like it and still think that Samsung can build an interesting system and be a strong competitor ton Sony.

3. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Unfortunately the RRP is $899 with the 18-55. That's $200 more than the 5N so it doesn't look like there will be pressure on Sony to lower their prices. Of course if that 20.3 MP sensor turns out to be any good it might put some pressure on the NEX-7 pricing. Or perhaps given the big gap between the 5 and the 7 we might see a NEX-6 paralleling the A65 coming in around $899-999?

4. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    I agree. It is strange that Samsung didn't try to take on Sony with better prices. This camera with a 20mp sensor at the same price point as the NEX-5N would have been a good competitor, but at $200 more puts it in a no-man's land territory for me. Why not get a 5N cheaper or spend the extra $300 and get the NEX-7. I'm mean seriously if I'm going to spend $900 on a camera why not spend the extra money to get all of the features the NEX-7 gives me.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I think Samsung tends to slash prices pretty quickly. The NX100 sells for really low prices now. Their premium compact, TL500/EX1, is also less expensive than any of its competition.

They've done a pretty nice job distinguishing themselves with the lens lineup, having a few nice pancakes to Sony's one. The Samsung 18-55 kit lens needs replacement though. It's bigger and less sharp than the Sony. Also feels plasticky, which won't match up with a premium-type body.

6. ryandigweed

ryandigweed TalkEmount Regular

Sep 2, 2011
    I don't think so many will purchase it , although samsung is good with camera, but for it's price, i doubt anyone would go for it. They Would Go for a NEX instead . I think Every manufacturer is trying to get on the Compact DSLR Bandwagon, which was started by Sony recently.

7. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    I agree that Samsung probably have the most challenging task to get their models out there in the CSC market but I wouldn't underestimate their ability to get things right in the long term - think of their flatscreen TV's, and their tablet and mobile phones which have Apple running scared to the courts.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by compact DSLR, but if you are referring to the compact system cameras/mirrorless interchangeable lens type cameras Sony didn't start this. Panasonic got the first one out followed by Olympus and then Samsung. Sony were quite late to this particular niche but have been making up ground fast.

8. ryandigweed

ryandigweed TalkEmount Regular

Sep 2, 2011
    Yeah, mirrorless, please excuse my lack of experience with these things. Sony was late, but has captured majority of the market on such basis.

I think you're absolutely right that Samsung has the ability to get it right, Since they got many renowned products such as Their slim LED TV's, Hard Drives, The NEXUS (that thing is Godly), and Their Galaxy Tablets and Phones. A friend of mine owns a Point and Shoot Camera by samsung, and it's pretty darn good, especially when compared to another camera of that period and price range By Sony, Fujifilm Etc. :)

I think samsung also was the first with the Front Facing LCD, for taking Self-Portraits. :) And now has one camera with the 180 Degree adjustable LCD :)

9. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    The only thing that I find attractive about the Samsung NX system is the 85mm prime lens that is coming for that mount. I really hope Sony brings out an affordable 85mm f/1.8 OSS lens (similar to the 50mm f/1.8 OSS) early next year. Hopefully Sony will announce some new lenses at CES/PMA in January.