Does the site seem faster?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I made a few costly changes yesterday - (moving the site to a larger SSD, installing Litespeed Enterprise, adding a Varnish cPanel plugin, changing ads to load after the page loads) - all for the purpose of making the site feel faster in use.

Before those changes, I think performance was about average, not bad considering that many pages contain many megabytes of photos to download (nothing I can do about that). My question is, can you tell the difference now? Or does it feel about the same.

I'm not done optimizing things yet. I want this site to be genuinely snappy.

• Like Like x 8
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    It definitely seems fast...essentially when changing screens the screens seem to simply 'blink'.

And while on the subject, hats off to you for all that you do in keeping this site running as well as it does.
    :thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Thanks for your feedback, that is very encouraging! What I'm working on now is trying to shorten the lag time between when you click on a thread title and when the screen changes.

4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I thought it was one of the faster forums I frequent before the changes!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Seems a bit snappier in Safari (both on OS X and iOS 8) than before.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The first morning after the update it was very slow here, but now it's much, much faster. Perhaps it was caching or something. But whatever was slowing it down has been overcome.

And yes, thanks very much for the update, not to mention providing this forum in the first place. You rock!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    It should get faster still in a bit. Just waiting for DNS propagation with our content delivery network.

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Definately feels faster! Minimal lag from the moment you click a thread title and until is opens.

Thanks Amin :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    One strategy I was using to speed up the site has been causing some odd problems. Have to disable it and go back to the drawing board...

10. LoFi

LoFi TalkEmount Regular

Nov 16, 2013
    Eliot
    i literally just got here to check threads, and realized i had tabs for the forums open already, went and opened them, and hit refresh like 6 times thinking chrome wasnt refreshing.. but it was just like BOOP! DONE!
    then i see this thread... lol