1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does the LA-EA1 adapter offer AF with Sigma 10-20mm?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by addieleman, Apr 1, 2013.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The title says it all. I was thinking of the Sigma 10-20mm 1:4-5.6 in Sony Alpha mount combined with the LA-EA1 adapter as an alternative to the Sony E 10-18mm. Will this combo offer autofocus? I had the Sigma 10-18mm with my Nikon D200 and it wasn't half bad.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If it has SSM, it should work. However, the AF with the LA-EA1 is so bad, MF is superior in any case. If you want good AF performance with A-Mount glass, there's no way around the LA-EA2.

3. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks, I guess with the LA-EA2 I get phase-detect AF with goodies like front/back focus added in for good measure, the very reason I said goodbye to DSLRs. I'll get the LA-EA1 then if I'm going to get the Sigma 10-20mm and just make do with MF, works a treat with the NEX-6 anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  4. qvreeke

qvreeke TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 30, 2011
    Have you tried this combination?

Hi I am interested in the Sigma 10-20 with the LA-EA1 adapter. Did you happen to try this combination and if so how is it working for you? I am also considering the Tamron 11-18mm lens with the LA-EA2 if anyone has any experince with this could you chime in. As I understand it this is pretty much the same lens as the Sony 11-18 and Konica Minolta lens but would need the LA-EA2 since it is a screw drive focus system. Since the Sigma is an HSM lens it should work with the LA-EA1 adapter or am I wrong with this thinking.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  5. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    In the end I decided to exchange my first SEL-1018 for another one which appeared to be decent enough to keep it. So I haven't tried the Sigma 10-20mm on my NEX-6.

6. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I have the 11-18 Tokina and in all honesty it's hard to get anything out of focus at the 11mm end,

7. qvreeke

qvreeke TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 30, 2011
    No HSM on Sony mount lens.

Turns out with a little more research that the Sony version of this lens does not have the HSM built into the lens so it is the screw type focus system. There is no way that the LA-EA1 would work for focusing.