Does the 5T overheat when shooting video?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Louis C. Hochman, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Louis C. Hochman

Louis C. Hochman New to TalkEmount

Oct 21, 2013
    The 5R and previous NEX cameras all did, but the problem was significantly diminished with the 6. I know the 5T is virtually identical to the 5R, but I'm hoping there might be some under-the-hood QA improvements that keep it cooler.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No it doesn't. And Sony fixed the problem already with the 5R.

3. Louis C. Hochman

Oct 21, 2013
    Unfortunately, the problem is still very present on my 5R, and from what I've seen in various forums, I'm not alone. It usually craps out somewhere between 15-22 minutes, even using a fast MS card, even with the LCD open, even with the sticker over the plate removed. Most things I've seen suggest the problem is massively reduced with the 6, but it's definitely an issue on many peoples' 5Rs.

Poki, do you have a 5T in hand that you've been able to test?

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No I don't, but the Sony support told me they fixed the problem silently in the last months, so I thought they were telling me the truth.

5. Louis C. Hochman

Oct 21, 2013
    They could mean just on the latest models, rather than anything they could have done in firmware updates. Or maybe they meant with minor engineering revisions, but my (fairly recently purchased) 5R was from an older batch.

I'd love to see someone confirm if the 5T is better in this regard. These cameras are capable of gorgeous video, but it's such a shame that they're so unreliable for it.

6. antoniouslj

antoniouslj New to TalkEmount

Oct 21, 2013
    I purchased my 5R a couple months ago and the overheating issue is very much prevalent around the 20 minute mark.

7. Louis C. Hochman

Oct 21, 2013
    Unfortunately, it seems the issue persists with the 5T. I bought one figuring I could return it if it's still a problem (if not, I was going to try and sell my 5R) ... and it is.