1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does RX1 and RX100 discussion belong here too?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    This is a Sony NEX user group, so the obvious answer is that no, RX1 and RX100 discussion doesn't belong here. On the other hand, might be nice to have subforums for those as well.

If we make new subforums, should we change the site name?

There are some general "everything Sony" forums out there, and I don't want to lose the NEX-centeredness of this one. Maybe leave things as is?

What does everyone think?

2. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    I sure wouldn't mind, but then again I've got an RX100, too :)

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, leave everything as it is. If somebody makes a thread about a A99, a RX1 or something like this - just treat it the same as a thread about maybe a Fuji camera. We're not lemmings who only buy NEX cameras, so it's natural everyone of us want to discuss the competition now and then - but in the end, the camera our heart loves to love is a NEX of some kind.

4. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Wouldn't matter to me. I doubt I'd visit them honestly. I have no interest in either camera.

5. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    We already have "Other System" subforum, IMHO these cameras (or X10, X100 etc), belong that specific subforum, or seriouscompacts.com

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Other than being small Sony cameras, it's hard for me to see much similarity between those two and a NEX. So I agree with Brian, the "Other Systems" subforum ought to cover any threads about them. I do enjoy reading about other, similar cameras, but I'd hate to lose the NEX-centeredness of this place.

7. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    This. We seem to be a smallish community compared to the µ4/3 folks, and definitely smaller than the DSLR shooter, but a closer community. There's lots of general photography sites, I like that this one is a specific user group.

8. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    +2

9. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    +3 :)

As Woodworks says - the only thing they have in common with the Nex is that they are small/not dslrs and are made by Sony - would prefer just keeping it as is with Nex being the main focus but also having the "Other Systems" subforum for everything else. After all, models like the Fuji X10 and the Alpha SLT's seem to be as popular if not more so here than the RX100 or RX1 and the Serious Compact site covers the more general small cameras aspect from 'premium' compacts like the RX100 and LX7 to other fixed lens cameras and mirrorless interchangeable lens models.

Whereas it's good to have a mainly Nex focused site here while still able to discuss any/all other cameras in the "Other Systems" subforum.

10. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I haven't had much time to post lately but I love this site, and while as a user I'd prefer to see expansion be demand-driven, I can totally understand that a broader appeal might be useful in drawing people in. Given lenses are really the driving appeal of the variety of photographic results with NEX and RX1 and 100 are really more about talking about camera settings and accessories, the discussions are going to have distinct populations. If you look at some of the compact camera forums at DPR (usually a source of knowledgeable photogs), the discussions can be depressingly simplistic (people not knowing really simple stuff like shooting with different apertures gives different results, or shooting with a filter and without a filter means IQ can't be compared).

Perhaps an "other Sony camera" subforum can distinguish these cameras from all the rest,* and then if there is a need to expand further the room is always open for that?

* Between the EVF and their sensors it does draw me more to Sony camera tech than any other brand, coming from a NEX - e.g. if I were to buy a DSLR it would be Sony because I love the EVF and can't go back; if I wanted an advanced compact, it would have to be RX100 and if I had $3000 burning a hole in my pocket I would be all over the RX1!

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Sounds like most want to keep it NEX-specific, which was my inclination as well.

Seems to be the case online, but walking around my area, I tend to see more NEX cameras in the wild than I see MFTs. I'm confident we'll continue to grow nicely here.

12. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    The more the merrier:)

I have RX100 and I have seen some very good RX1 shots from owners. I think it might help to get more exposure to the site...

13. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Perhaps then in addition to the 'other systems' forum a 'Sony RX' forum?

14. zapatista

zapatista TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 4, 2012
    Denver, CO (USA)
    Mike
  15. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Well, since I joined the group, have been fascinated and feel part of the family, I agree with some companions, why change the name? I think we've identified as nex users, and we share something in common (NEX cameras), but you could create a subforum Rx1/100.
    Not to sound like a selfish but that's not able to go on μ4 / 3 folks¡?

16. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Of course I live in the sticks, but I'm the only person i know that has a mirrorless camera. My only exposure is on the internet.

17. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I live in a city of 8 million and all I ever see is mobile phones or hulking DSLRs. Bigger is better!

Actually there are a fair number of people that use iPads as cameras too.

18. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Unfortunately. I like the iPad, but it looks absolutely ridicolus when shooting on the streets - not even talking about that most smartphones have better cameras ...

19. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    For what its worth (since this thread asks for opinions from the forum members) my vote is also to keep it Nex-specific :)

20. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    It would be a pity if this site would lose its own identity. A site with many and targeted information specific to the owner of a Nex. My vote is therefore specific to the Nex.