• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Does OSS work with sel55210 and a7 mk1?

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
I got an A7 body recently and also just received a Sony 55-210 lens. I've been testing it, and AF-C works, but it doesn't seem like steady shot / stabilization works? I've checked some other forums and have seen kinds of mixed information about this. Does anyone know for sure whether or not the OSS is supposed to work with this combination of lens and camera body?

Thanks, Jim

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I don't have the A7 but can confirm OSS does work when this APS-C zoom is paired to the later A7II body. Be sure to have SteadyShot enabled, and APSC-mode enabled.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
As someone who bought the a6000 with the two kit lenses, including this one, I think it works without IBIS. Both those a6000 lenses have OSS, but the body has no IBIS.

Wait <reaches for a6000>...

On the a6000, SteadyShot on/off is on "Camera" menu, page 6. I'm guessing the A7II menu structure would be pretty similar?

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I am finding that there are some real limitations to the A7 versus some of the newer versions, for example, this no OSS with this lens.
Yes, unfortunately that is the case. The A7 was Sony’s first foray into the mirrorless, full-frame world, and had some limitations. When I upgraded from the A7 to the A7II, I was amazed at the leap Sony had made, especially in auto-focus. It’s still a very good camera. But it has been lapped several times by the cameras that came after it.

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
As I said, this is my first foray into Sony stuff, so this (starting with the A7) is ok, but I still with I had started with the A7 ii ;)!

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
Thad,

Actually, there IS a setting for steady shot in my A7 menu... however it is grayed out.
I have read that this particular lens won't have OSS work with the A7, but there are other lenses (I *think* that the 70-300 FE is one of them) that do have OSS work, even with the A7.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
I got an A7 body recently and also just received a Sony 55-210 lens. I've been testing it, and AF-C works, but it doesn't seem like steady shot / stabilization works? I've checked some other forums and have seen kinds of mixed information about this. Does anyone know for sure whether or not the OSS is supposed to work with this combination of lens and camera body?

Thanks, Jim
I see this is your 2nd post in the last week about non-Sony lenses working with the oldest A7 body. The answer will most likely will be no or not very well.

The A7 is a 8 year old camera and Sonys first attempt at the A7 body style. So many things have been upgraded for the better, even in the almost 3 year old A7III:
A7III has almost full screen coverage of the AF points with 425 contrast-detect and 693 phase-detect AF Points vs. 25 contrast-detect and 117 phase-detect points with the A7.
Better AF-C and the adaptability of non Sony lenses
Eye Detect AF, simply amazing
Better IBIS, 5 stops
Better body ergonomics, design and weather sealing
Twin card slots, 1 being UHS-II
USB Charging of battery in camera
NP FZ-100 battery, almost double the capacity of the older 50

An A7III can be bought in great shape used for $1,300+/- and once the new $2,500 A7IV comes out that price is not going to change much. Since you are trying to determine if Sony works for you, why don't you sell the A7 and get a body that at least gives a true representation of what the Sony system is NOW all about, and not the 1st generation A7 that lacks the features/upgraded improvements the current Sony bodies have? If you decide the new A7IV is for you, then you can sell your test camera without much loss.

Last edited:

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
I see this is your 2nd post in the last week about non-Sony lenses working with the oldest A7 body. The answer will most likely will be no or not very well.

The A7 is a 8 year old camera and Sonys first attempt at the A7 body style. So many things have been upgraded for the better, even in the almost 3 year old A7III:
A7III has almost full screen coverage of the AF points with 425 contrast-detect and 693 phase-detect AF Points vs. 25 contrast-detect and 117 phase-detect points with the A7.
Better AF-C and the adaptability of non Sony lenses
Eye Detect AF, simply amazing
Better IBIS, 5 stops
Better body ergonomics, design and weather sealing
Twin card slots, 1 being UHS-II
USB Charging of battery in camera
NP FZ-100 battery, almost double the capacity of the older 50

An A7III can be bought in great shape used for $1,300+/- and once the new $2,500 A7IV comes out that price is not going to change much. Since you are trying to determine if Sony works for you, why don't you sell the A7 and get a body that at least gives a true representation of what the Sony system is NOW all about, and not the 1st generation A7 that lacks the features/upgraded improvements the current Sony bodies have? If you decide the new A7IV is for you, then you can sell your test camera without much loss.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions / comments. You are correct that I have been kind of disappointed with the A7, but even though that is a case, I found it interesting working with it, I am not quite ready to go to a7 III yet. Coming from some of the systems that I had worked with previously I was really curious about a lot of the comments/complaints about the ergonomics and the menu system, but now that I have work with the A7, I am finding that I don't have a problem with either of those.

The other thing that I was really interested in getting some experience with is full frame, so working with the A7 is helpful.

I think that if / when I get an A7 IV, I still would be mostly trying to use adapted lenses, with a few native sony lenses, probably, some long zooms.

Since it did mentioned about the A7 III, I was wondering about the A7 II? I found this article:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/ne...ct-af-for-third-party-lenses-uncompressed-raw

From some reading that I did I gathered that the II wasn't a huge difference from the A7, but I was curious if that firmware (compared to the A7) would help with working with adaptive lenses?

Thanks,
Jim

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
If I recall correctly - no guarantees - while the A7 had PDAF it was considerably updated/upgraded and enhanced on latter sensors and cameras. I went from an A6000 to A7ii so did not experience the original full-frame body. But like WoodWorks, I had a TechArt Contax G adapter and there was no comparison, the A7ii was sooo much better with it, so they did something to that body that really improved performance.

It is worth noting that ergonomics have also changed. And the menu system was overhauled in the latest generation, which I fully expect will be the one on the A7iv when it arrives. And touchscreen is actually useful now, they say. (Not so much on my A7Riii.) So SpecFoto does have a point in terms of using the 1st generation to evaluate Sony usability versus current bodies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom