Does jpeg apply sharpness to the shots?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Jan 19, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi there,
    this goes to adapted lenses as I spent all day yesterday at the park shooting with a 100mm lens and one 135mm at around a f/5, where my lenses become sharp (plus a tripod to make shots steady enough).

I had some nice shots and I found my self many times thinking "wow, that looks good"...
    I did not have time to do any post processing as I was shooting raw but I was very happy with what my eyes were seeing.

Today I was back in the park only with the SEL16 with me mostly focusing on do some landscapes. Luckily the ducks were out of water and I was able to shoot one of the ducks just by extending my hands. Even though there is a lot of distortion one of the ducks were exactly at the center of my frame. I shot and then I found my self feeling proud of my shot.. But then I felt a bit stupid. Whjat I was doing the other days with the two tele when I got this fully sharp shot with a wide angle lens? Is just the technology that made SEL16 super damn good or I am just buying the crappiest lenses?

I felt the park still wondering what have happened.... I then found that the shot I got with the SEL16 it was a jpeg and not a raw... and then I have been left wondering if there is sharpness in the jpeg engine already and that explains why my shot looks better.

I will try to share some of the photos later when small princess goes to bed.

Regards
    Alex

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yes, JPEGs are sharpened by the camera, but thankfully not particularly aggressive with NEX cameras.

As for your comparison - yes, lens technology improved a lot and the 16mm pancake is incredibly sharp at the center, but it's awful at the edges and as you shot with different settings, different subjects and different lighting it's impossible to compare the shots from your teles to your SEL16F28.

3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks I start tomorrowing selling my old minoltas!

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'd buy that MD 135 f/2.8 :D (perhaps even the 28mm for collection reasons)

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No reason to sell your nice collection of Minolta lenses. They may technically not be as good as, say, a Zeiss Touit, but they're great for their prize, the color rendering is nice for most of these lenses and they are not bad at all. Remember, sharpness (i.e. global + local contrast and resolution) are only one part of the puzzle that makes a great lens.