does it fit in your jacket pocket?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Apr 24, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    I wanted to ask you to share your nex camera lens combo that fits in your jacket pocket. How comfortable you are walking outside with this combo?

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I simply would not/nor desire to put my camera in a jacket pocket.

That said the 16mm and 19mm SEL are pretty thin.

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I once slipped my NEX-5N into a coat pocket with the 35/1.8 on, which is twice as thick as those pancakes. I don't think it's a very good idea generally, you end up worrying about your precious camera (and more the lens) being damaged. Putting it in a small bag and then being able to forget about it gives much more peace of mind.
  4. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    If I go out specifically to take photos I find it a lot easier to pop my NEX-7 and the 18-55 kit lens in my pocket. I'm not sure what the worry about it getting scratched would be since I don't keep anything else in the pocket. It's convenient and also doesn't leave a shiny camera hanging around my neck in the busy streets.
  5. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Depends how big your jacket pocket is. I have taken my 5N and Sigma 30 out many times in my jacket pocket.
  6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    I pocket the 5T and the 1650 all the time. When it was colder and I was wearing heavier coats, I would take the Sigma 30 out also.
  7. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I walked around for a week wearing a fleece zip-up (I think they are all made about the same way) with camera & lens in one pocket and a second lens in another (Sigma 30 & 19). Not my preferred method but it worked (the small messenger bag I was planning on using caught on a fence post and ripped).
  8. Shutterdad

Shutterdad TalkEmount Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    I've been wanting to get the 16mm for my Nex F3. Just haven't asked permission from my wife.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Oh, it's so small, she won't even notice. ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  10. BlueBill

BlueBill TalkEmount Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    I got a Scottievest and it can hold pretty much everything including a full sized iPad.
  11. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    in jacket and coat pockets, yes you can put it in, however it will have quite a bulge even if you are using the 16-50 pancake. I don't think it's even possible to put it in the pocket of a jeans. A sling bag makes more sense and keeps the camera safer
  12. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    By the way, my NEX-7 fits my jacket pocket even with the 24mm Sonnar on it, but it's neither comfortable nor does it look anywhere near normal.

As an everyday camera, get a RX100. It's not bigger than most smartphones and the quality is great.
  13. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    hahahah just saw that :p