Does DRO bracketing produce EXIF data?

lew

TalkEmount Rookie
I just completed a shoot using dro bracketing. I assume 1 image favors shadows, the next mid-tones, and, finally, the 3rd favors highlights. Are the differences among the 3 recorded in EXIF or somewhere else? Is there any way to pull all of the "favors shadows" images out of the mix? Any way to tell which is which in post? (And, btw, am I correct in assuming that the 3 bracketed images would yield a good hdr composite in LR?)

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
A couple of thoughts.
* To the best of my knowledge, DRO only affects JPEG images. If you are shooting RAW it will have no affect.
* I can see DRO in EXIF using EXIFTOOL (Dynamic Range Optimizer is the label). I am not sure what value the DRO tag would have in it for the various settings since I have mine disabled.
* I do not know if the DRO bracketing is as simple as you say. Could be, but I do not know.
* I think DRO and HDR are complimentary ways of achieving a similar end. I am not sure combining them is going to give you the best result. It would be far more typical to use exposure bracketing for use in HDR in post.
* If you are mainly trying to enhance shadows, have you simply tried pulling them up in post? Sony files for most bodies are very malleable and that may be sufficient. I often expose for highlights and pull up shadows after and find it works really well for the most part, even on an older A7ii. I shoot RAW and use Capture One which may explain part of that I suppose.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
I don't have my camera with me at the moment to check on the EXIF data. I think there's an EV field, which might be useful.

While I know you can change the order of exposures (+,0,-) or (-+0), for example, there isn't anything in the filenames to show which is which. But it's pretty obvious from the thumbnails when a bracket of shots appears.

The number of images needed for an HDR composite, and the EV separation required will vary depending on your subject. If your subject is very bright overall, you might want to shoot at -2x,-x,0 instead of -x,-,+x. If your subject is very dark, with little highlights, you may shoot at 0,+x,+2x.

A single RAW file can often be turned into an HDR-like image since the Sony sensors are quite capable of pushing the shadows (Technically, that's just "tone mapping", not true HDR). But if your highlights are blown, there is nothing you can do to recover. If you have one of the models that will allow you to expose for the highlights, that could be quite useful.

A bracket of three is probably sufficient for viewing on a monitor, but if you're going for a nice big print, you may want to use a 5-shot (or 9-shot!) bracket instead to give you smoother gradations.

Do some googling and check out some HDR tutorials. You can then decide if the processing time is worth it to you, or if the in camera Auto HDR is "good enough".

lew

TalkEmount Rookie
A couple of thoughts.
* To the best of my knowledge, DRO only affects JPEG images. If you are shooting RAW it will have no affect.
-> I shoot exclusively in RAW only, no jpg. DRO bracketing did run, producing 3 separate files for each image. I don't see any effect other than a possible change in file size of up to +/- .02mb

* I can see DRO in EXIF using EXIFTOOL (Dynamic Range Optimizer is the label). I am not sure what value the DRO tag would have in it for the various settings since I have mine disabled.
-> Not familiar What is this?

* I think DRO and HDR are complimentary ways of achieving a similar end. I am not sure combining them is going to give you the best result. It would be far more typical to use exposure bracketing for use in HDR in post.
-> I agree. But the bracketing has the advantage of using a single exposure without having to change settings.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
You will find it debated in some places on the internet, but I am confident DRO does not affect RAW images. That it still takes multiple images does not mean it is applying DRO. Jim Kasson knows more about this sort of thing than I ever will, and he says DRO does not affect RAWs at least for the A7ii I have, but I doubt this would change in later models: https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/does-dro-in-the-a7ii-affect-noise/

EXIFTOOL is a command-line tool, probably the most comprehensive of its kind. On Windows it will create a shortcut on your desktop that lets you drop an image file on it to display all it finds. There are 3rd-party graphical interfaces but I don't use them. There is a version for Mac, too, but I cannot really assist you with that. https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

lew

TalkEmount Rookie
"You will find it debated in some places on the internet, but I am confident DRO does not affect RAW images. That it still takes multiple images does not mean it is applying DRO. Jim Kasson knows more about this sort of thing than I ever will, and he says DRO does not affect RAWs at least for the A7ii I have, but I doubt this would change in later models: https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/does-dro-in-the-a7ii-affect-noise/"
-> Surfing some Sony pages, I came across the following:
"The D-Range Optimizer function instantaneously analyzes the captured image data and automatically corrects for optimal exposure and tone reproduction. Often when taking backlit scenes, the subject's face or other areas in shadow appear darker in the photograph than they appear to the human eye. The D-Range Optimizer function discriminates between different conditions for the photographed scenes automatically corrects the gamma curve, exposure level, and other parameters to remove portions that are darker than they would appear to the human eye. "

Assuming this is so, it'd work fine with RAW images.

Kirkp

TalkEmount Regular
For the a6000 Sony makes it clear that HDR settings don’t affect the raw file.
http://docs.esupport.sony.com/dvimag/ILCE6000_guide/en/contents/TP0000314497.html
I can’t find a definitive statement for that camera about DRO, but I’ve found some Sony documentation stating that raw files are always “undeveloped” images (i.e., pretty much straight out of the sensor). However, the exif will record the camera setting. That’s the same for other processing such as lens vignetting and distortion correction.

Also, “DRO Bracketing” takes three shots, one with each DRO setting. They are separate images, not mapped into a single image as for HRO. The jpeg will be different for each, but I think the raws will all be identical except for the exif, which may show a different DRO setting.

Last edited:

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Assuming this is so, it'd work fine with RAW images.
For the a6000 Sony makes it clear that HDR settings don’t affect the raw file.
DRO *shouldn't* affect the RAW file, because then it's not a RAW file, by definition. All a RAW file should be, is the readout from the sensor, plus the jpg preview and some metadata.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom