1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Does anyone use metabones adapter for Nikon "G" series glass?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by sonicbuffalo, Aug 9, 2014.

1. sonicbuffalo

sonicbuffalo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Chris
    If so, do you have any problems? I just bought an A7 and want to know before the deadline if I cna use Nikkor G series lenses without problems? Thanks!

2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

As long as your adapter allows you to adjust the aperture, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I have used Nikon G glass with adapters as described by the previous posters. Although it is indeed technically possible to close the diaphragm, I found it very inconvenient in practice because there's no indication of the actual aperture value you have closed it to. For instance, I had a Tokina 11-16mm 1:2.8 in Nikon G version that I wanted to use at f/5.6; the only way to verify that it's really closed to f/5.6 is to check in the viewfinder if the exposure is changed two stops from that at maximum aperture (f/2.8 -> f/5.6 is two stops). I didn't want to put up with the hassle, stopped using the lens on my mirrorless camera and eventually sold it alongside with the sale of my DSLR (a Nikon D300s).

• Like Like x 1
  5. MAubrey

Ad, if he's using the metabones adapter that I think he is, then he actually has clickable, marked stops on the lens (though they're marked 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. rather than with the f number).

• Like Like x 2
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Ah, didn't know that, that would help a great deal I guess.

7. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    when i shot nikon g with a dumb adapter, i'd look into the end of the lens, open/close all the way, then twist it somewhere in between, visually guessing how stopped down it was by aperture size, lol

even if those marked stops on the adapter weren't accurate to what the lens markings are, they should at least be a measured distance to each other?

interesting idea, thx

8. MAubrey

Yeah they are a measured distance. It isn't perfectly accurate since unlike a Nikon cameras, it doesn't know what lens in connected, but it works well. I had the Nikon G to μ43 Speedbooster which has the same mechanism. It was excellent. I only sold it because I only had one F-mount lens. I kind of regret it now that I have a couple more.

9. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I sold all my Nikon lenses...the Fotodiox adapter is only used for my Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 now.
    I'm more of an AF type and rarely use MF unless needed...especially for macro, which manual is better.

• Like Like x 1
  10. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Most Nikon AF lenses (probably with the exception of macro/"micro" lenses) are optimized for AF usage. So even though you can get the aperture to work, even though the optics and coating are modern, in practice it's not ideal using AF lenses in MF mode. The tactical feel is very different.

On the other hand, there're a lot of excellent Nikon MF lenses out there. Not very expensive, especially the Series E ones. You can easily use pre-AI lenses on A7 too.

I also have some Nikon AF lenses, but almost only use them on my Nikon DSLR. The MF Nikkor's got used much more on my A7. See for example http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565 what those MF Nikon's can do.

11. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    I have the same one. Works just fine.

12. sonicbuffalo

sonicbuffalo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Chris
    Checked with B & H.....fotodiox won't work with full frame....shucks!

13. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    That sucks!
    I hope you find something compatible.

14. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    If it's the same one in the picture, which is the one I have, I tried both the 28mm f1.8G and 85mm f1.8G with my A7 and worked just fine. :confused: