Does Anyone Own Both the Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM and Native Primes?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by doublezd, Apr 13, 2018.

1. doublezd

doublezd TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 21, 2015
    About 7 months ago, I posted this question about the image quality of the Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM lens. At that time, no one who answered had this lens. I'm wondering if anyone now has it? I have an A7Rii and only primes-- the Batis 25/2 and Zeiss 55/1.8. However, I've been wanting the convenience of an excellent zoom lens. For those who own both this GM and some of the Zeiss primes, how would you say it compares in terms of image quality? Thank you.

2. Boba

Boba New to TalkEmount

Mar 18, 2018
    I had the A7RII & 24-70mm GM. It is an excellent lens, but very large & heavy; I sold it. I now have the A7RIII with the new 24-105mm f4 G, which is, in my view, a wonderful lens. It has comparable image quality to the f2.8 GM & is much smaller and lighter and almost half the price and wider zoom range. You also have to be happy with f4 v. f2.8 which is no problem for me. That said, primes will always typically have better IQ than a zoom.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  3. doublezd

doublezd TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you Boba. The weight is definitely something to consider. I appreciate your feedback.