Does anyone here also have an A77?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SRHEdD, Jan 8, 2013.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I've been considering an A77 instead of the NEX-6, but wonder about the AF in comparison. The NEX-6/NEX-7 AF foible is tolerable in the format of the camera, but in a DSLR-style I think it just would be a deal-breaker. Anyone?

2. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Alpha SLT autofocus is much faster than on the Nex cameras. I only have the A37 but I imagine the A77 if anything would be even faster, being the top of the range APS-C model whereas the A37 is the entry level model.

Not sure how it compares to dslrs in that price range like the Nikon D7000, Canon 60D etc - but I would guess fairly similar?

3. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    That's a good point. Anyone actually compared the A77 in-hand to nikon or Canon equivalents?

It would be nice to use the same flashes between the NEX-7 and A77, and the Sony adapter/16-50 2.8 on my NEX-7 sounds like it would be a fun experiment.

4. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I have the A57 and the AF much faster that NEX although I find it somewhat slow and noisy with the 50mm 1.8. The 35, 85 and kit are no problem. Not sure how it compares to Canon/Nikon alternatives.

5. applemint

Sep 20, 2012
    By the way Dyxum would be a good place to ask any questions (or just to have a read) - lots of A77 owners on there: APS-C SLT - Dyxum forums - Page 1 and there are bound to be a few who own Nex cameras as well.

6. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    I have the a77 its chalk and cheese the A/F on the a77 is fast and accurate in comparison to my nex f3, but I find that I hardly use the a77 much now sure the nex is a new toy but its also a lot lighter and smaller to carry and to be quite honest the nex is just plain fun. I am already thinking about just trading in the nex f3 and getting a nex 7 with the a mount lens converter so I can use all of my a mount glass. The only problem with that is She Who Must Be Obeyed is going to be hard to convince.

7. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    So trade me the A77 and 16-50 for my NEX-7 and 18-200LE. LOL!!

8. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    let me think about that a77 with 16-50 equals $2700 Australian nex 7 with 18-200 equals $1800 umm thinking thinking thinking umm NO.

9. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    ...it was a joke, sorry.

10. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Yeah I know mate so was my response, although I am already thinking an upgrade of my nex f3 to a nex 7 is likely to be in my future I don't ever see myself going with just the nex system or just 1 camera really. After all he who dies with the most toys wins right lol.

11. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I have both the NEX-6 and -7 and think dropping one in favor of an A77 and 16-50 might be a better kit. Problem is I like them both for different reasons. Probably just wind up keeping them both, posting less about it and shooting more...

Just hoping the NEX bodies won't let me down when my sons' football seasons start up. Shot last year with an OM-D and got great stuff.

12. applemint

Sep 20, 2012
    Makes sense to me - too many compromises with just one camera - wether that is a mirrorless or a dslr/slt. I can't afford the higher end models like the A77, Nex 6, Nex 7 - but I could if I picked just one of them and had just one camera, one system, one set of lenses.

However, I like too many things about both systems to just pick one and would give up too much just going with one - plus it's more fun and keeps things interesting. That's why I have an A37 and a G3 and a Nex. :) Probably seems daft - but on the other hand it's fun and it means I can cover more bases. If I just had the Nex, the slow AF would bug me, if I just had the slt it would get left at home plenty of times when I still would like to have a (smaller) camera with me. Will probably consolidate down to 2 cameras/ systems at some stage, or perhaps even one and an RX100 but seeing as I would not get much money for any of my cameras if I sold them, I might as well keep them, keep taking pictures and keep having fun. :)

13. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Funny, I wouldn't consider either the 6 or 7 slow in AF. Maybe less quick, but "slow" implies not usable (to me), and that certainly isn't the case. The 7 is as fast as my D300 was (unscientific), but not as fast as the OM-D I traded to get into the NEX cameras. All things considered, once I got accustomed to the AF foibles, it is more than acceptable and ultimately VERY usable.

I do hope a future firmware update could speed it up though.