1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does anyone have any experience with these Maxxums...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amamba, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    35-105 (not sure yet which version)
    28/2.8

I assume 28/2.8 is not going to best Sigma 30. So it's likely out of question.

The 35-105 seems like it could be a more useful lens than my 35-70/4 Macro, as long as the IQ is similar.

Any ideas ?

2. Andromeda143

Andromeda143 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 19, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia
    Clive Dickinson
    I have the 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 Maxxum. It is quite a good lens, although a little bulky. I rarely use it as I have taken to using primes almost exclusively.

I do not have the other lens, but I have the 28mm f/2.0. It is good, although I prefer the 20mm and 24mm f/2.8 (just my preference)

3. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks, someone has them on CL locally, I'm curious if it's comparable to 35-70.

4. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    The good 35-105 would be the all metal heavy model with a metal finely ribbed narrow focusing ring at the front.
    The later one is shorter, has a lot more plastic on it and has a smooth rubber focusing ring.

The 28 F 2.8 is a good lens. not spectacular but at reasonable price it is great value

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Any idea how it compared to 35-70 optically?

6. stripedrex

stripedrex TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 18, 2014
    The Maxxum 35mm f2 rendered wonderfully and was pretty sharp in the center wide open. Only reason I dont have it to day was im not a fan of the laea4 adapter which is required (no motor).

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I have both the early 35-70mm and 35-105mm models with the finely-ribbed focussing rings. The 35-105mm isn't half bad in terms of sharpness, even wide-open at 105mm it's still useable, though you'd have to get rid of some purple fringing, and stopped down to f/5.6 it's quite good in a large portion of the frame. Only the extreme corners of the 35-105mm are unsharp but I guess you don't care about that. Pictures taken in sunlight look quite pleasing to me, I guess this lens isn't very contrasty.

There's one problem that prevents me from using the lens: distortion. I made a lens profile for it, but that doesn't work too well. The lens reports its focal length in the EXIF in 5mm increments and distortion changes fast between 35mm and 45mm so that the correction isn't always as effective as it should be. This doesn't have to be a problem, depending on your use of it.

I can't say a thing about AF because I use these lenses with the LA-EA3 on my A7, I don't have an LA-EA4.

Here are some galleries with test shots, alas for you targeted to evaluate the lenses for landscape work.
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-70mm 1:4
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-105mm 1:3.5-4.5

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks. I decided to pass on these lenses.