1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Does anyone find peaking distracting from composition?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by WT21, Sep 18, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I am trying out focus peaking on a 5n with two voigt lenses.

It's definitely quick, but I'm finding I'm really distracted by the peaking colors. The are always there, so I find myself obsessing about critical focus. With my other system, I focus and compose, with this, the focus color is always there to remind you if you've drifted out a bit. I tried going light on the peaking, but then it gets hard to see (esp in brighter light).

Also, is there anyway on a NEX to turn off ALL text from the screen? Between the peaking colors and the information read-out, I'm finding the image v. cluttered. Was wondering if I'm missing something.

2. korn_2956

korn_2956 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Push up on the wheel. Where it says disp.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    beat me to it :D

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Sometimes you could accidentally hit "up" on the wheel, then you will need to cycle through the various display options to get back to your preferred display.

To avoid this, go to "Camera" menu and the go to "DISP Button (Monitor)" and switch off all the other display options you don't want.

5. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Thanks, but it doesn't look like there's any setting for no text on the screen :(

6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Funny that you ask, because the blogpost I made yesterday was addressing this very issue. Basically I wrote that's it's a learning process, and that once you've become better at it, things go back to normal and your picture taking returns to its usual process, because the manual focus that requires so much attention at first, becomes more natural and after a bit you do it without quite thinking about it.
    Think about learning to drive a car (hmm, that would apply to a gear stick transmission). The analogy has been beaten to death but it is particularly relevant. At first it feels very awkward and slow and scary because you have to juggle many things at once, but after now, years later, we all drive in a total multitask mode, without thinking about it at all ! (well, some people should pay attention, but that's another story);
    Bottom line of my opinion, yes manual focusing (with or without peaking) does distract you from the other aspects of picture taking, at first. But I do believe if you keep at it and do walk the walk, you'll be soon rewarded by better ease at it, and ultimately, it won't distract you anymore.
    See more detail here, if you're curious
    Making progress | itsnotthecamera

7. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Yes there is...

Camera > DISP Button (Monitor) > No Display Info

8. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    I have that as my only setting, and there is still across the bottom, from left to right, shutter speed, f/stop, EV adjustment and ISO.

Does yours not have this for this setting? I'm shooting a 5n.

9. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I just checked my 5n, sorry you're right. The 'No Display Info' still shows... info!

10. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Thanks for verifying. Though I'd prefer no info, it's still pretty minimal. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a setting option.