1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does anybody have the Tokina AF SD 28-70mm 3.5-4.5?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by adrianp, May 11, 2015.

1. adrianp

adrianp TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 16, 2014
    Australia
    A friend gave me one and it appears to be in very good nick and it is very clean, but it doesn't communicate with my Sony A7II and la-ea4 adaptor, the camera just doesn't see it, no aperture numbers and no focusing. The adaptor works fine with my beercan, so it must be the lens, I was wondering if the lens could be faulty or it just doesn't work in this combination. It has the Maxxum mount with 5 contacts and aperture tab.

I'll try and upload some pics taken with it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

regards,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I've heard some third party A mount lens's don't function with the la-ea4, whether or not the Tokina you mention is on that list I'm not sure.

3. adrianp

adrianp TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 16, 2014
    Australia
    Thanks! I managed to upload some pics (my first attempt on this forum), because the lens doesn't have an aperture ring I couldn't control it, just the focus. The aperture was stuck somewhere close to maximum.

I sort of like the images, the lens is a bit soft (I was also using a -1 soft setting) and has a lot of CA in one of the pics (the vignetting is part my fault), but for some reasons the pictures kinda remind me of postcards. (They look a tad better directly from my computer). I would really love to make it work, I think it deserves a second chance at life.

cheers,
    Adrian

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  4. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Absolute worst case scenario I think you can get a dumb adapter with aperture control on it.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The aperture in an A-mount lens seems to be operated purely mechanically, there's a lever in the lens' mount that opens and closes the aperture, you can operate it by hand and the diaphragm should react. If not, also the diaphragm needs repair.