Does anybody have the Tokina AF SD 28-70mm 3.5-4.5?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by adrianp, May 11, 2015.

1. adrianp

adrianp TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 16, 2014
    Australia
    A friend gave me one and it appears to be in very good nick and it is very clean, but it doesn't communicate with my Sony A7II and la-ea4 adaptor, the camera just doesn't see it, no aperture numbers and no focusing. The adaptor works fine with my beercan, so it must be the lens, I was wondering if the lens could be faulty or it just doesn't work in this combination. It has the Maxxum mount with 5 contacts and aperture tab.

I'll try and upload some pics taken with it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

regards,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I've heard some third party A mount lens's don't function with the la-ea4, whether or not the Tokina you mention is on that list I'm not sure.

3. adrianp

adrianp TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 16, 2014
    Australia
    Thanks! I managed to upload some pics (my first attempt on this forum), because the lens doesn't have an aperture ring I couldn't control it, just the focus. The aperture was stuck somewhere close to maximum.

I sort of like the images, the lens is a bit soft (I was also using a -1 soft setting) and has a lot of CA in one of the pics (the vignetting is part my fault), but for some reasons the pictures kinda remind me of postcards. (They look a tad better directly from my computer). I would really love to make it work, I think it deserves a second chance at life.

cheers,
    Adrian

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  4. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Absolute worst case scenario I think you can get a dumb adapter with aperture control on it.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The aperture in an A-mount lens seems to be operated purely mechanically, there's a lever in the lens' mount that opens and closes the aperture, you can operate it by hand and the diaphragm should react. If not, also the diaphragm needs repair.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.