Documenting my home town

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by addieleman, Apr 29, 2015.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Inspired by WestOkid's NYC Bridge Hunt I decided to pick themes to document my home town, a project that is circling in my head for some time now. Is my home town spectacular? Far from it, but when scanning my 30 years old slides it occurred to me that old pictures show a remarkable image of the time, especially when they show mundane subject matter like cars and shops.

So my 2 themes for now are Shopping areas and Churches. Both are doomed to disappear in due time or at least to drastically change. Other ideas are Clocks and Old and New, the latter showing older houses against the background of modern buildings.

My preferred way of doing it is just to grab my camera bag and ride or walk around, hoping to be struck by a subject in nice lighting. I limit planning in advance to a minimum because I simply don't like that.

i-b9kVWCp-X3.

i-85VHXVM-X3.

i-kN2VQ3v-X3.

i-qRz7cpQ-X3.
    These are made while taking a detour during my bicycle ride to work.

The shopping area where I usually pick up my lunch, that same day. A very ordinary, every-day scene but there's a tremendous amount of detail in the picture which almost screams to be printed 1m wide. Only later I saw I got one of my colleagues in the picture :).
    i-C7CjgRH-X3.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 11
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I like the first shot a lot, spectacular church.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice idea! I think "projects" like that are great and can serve several purposes :)
    Nice photos too of what seems like a lovely city
    I also spot a juxtaposition - on #4 the clouds formation appear as a cross, right behind the churches cross :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Didn't look at it that way, great! Now I can boast to everyone else outside this forum that I did this on purpose :D.

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Beautiful shots. I wish I could bike to work. Unfortunately, I live 25 miles away, along a very busy 6-lane highway. Typical American urban sprawl. :( Even if I lived closer, my workplace is at the top of a long, steep road. Great views, though!

TT

6. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    It's a privilege indeed to be able to go to work by bike, I use the my wife's car maybe 3 times a year max. But I guess my town's subject matter is not as nice as the views you have from your work place, and I'm not even talking about airplanes!

• Like Like x 1
  7. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I didn't even need to check the writing on the walls in the last shot to know it was a NON-american country. Average every day American's can NOT ride a bike with one hand whilst looking behind them.... :rofl:

Beautiful shots btw. Love the Architecture.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I forgot to ask: what lens you used for these? (clicked on the photo but no exif - sorry if I somehow missed it)
    I'm guessing at least the first 4 photos must be with the same lens, but especially #3 shows an amazing sharpness!!!

9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I like to "wing it" too. But if I'm riding 1000 miles to get to a place where I hope to capture some view in just the right conditions, you can bet that I'm planning that trip within an inch of its life.

10. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    HA! wow... so cool. So i poured over your pictures a bit more. And after a few minutes of studying the last one it dawned on me it looked familiar. Not that i'd been to that EXACT location. But something about the colors and the street bricks... idk just rang a bell. In my mind I thought "kinda looks like Eindhoven"

A slight history: I lived in Amsterdam for a few months (for work) about 4 years ago. I lived with some blokes that would have much rather stayed in Amsterdam every weekend rather than get out and travel, big laemo's i know. Anyway, we did take a weekend holiday ONCE while I was there. One of my flat mates and I got ourselves good and lost in Eindhoven for a few hours before catching the Correct TRAM in the Correct direction lol. We were only in town two nights and then back to work.

After having the bit of Deja Vu moment I googled Sisters of Eve The Netherlands and was Pleasantly surprised to find out this IS Eindhoven. (its a small world after all)

11. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    All pictures of the church were made with the FE 70-200mm on the A7, at f/8 with various focal lengths. The more I use this lens, the more I like it despite its size and weight. I used the Olympus OM Zuiko 40/2 for the last one, also at f/8. There is EXIF data in the picture but my plugins in Chrome also don't show all relevant data.

• Like Like x 1
  12. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yep, completely different ballgame I imagine. Unfortunately I'm not much of a traveller so it's not applicable to me, but more than once I'm in awe of what people do when they're in the right place at the right time.

13. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Errrm:hmmm:... no trams in Eindhoven, maybe you mean the buses that have their own parts of the road? Guessing you weren't completely sober. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Did I mention we were lost?! In the DARK! lol, astute assumption good sir!

• Like Like x 1
  15. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    do point me in the direction of these! :dance4:

16. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looks like a nice place to be from

• Like Like x 1
  17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Using my unlimited moderator super powers (Bwa ha ha!), I moved the discussion about "topic threads" into a new thread. Carry on.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Like Like x 1