1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Documentary photography of pretend events (Civil War Re-enactment)

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by -et-, Sep 1, 2013.

1. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Here are some shots I took today at an annual two-day event of an organization of re-enactors of the US Civil War, which took place from 1861-1865.

For those who are not familiar with Civil War re-enactment, the people involved do not limit their activities to the actual combat, but re-create most aspects of life at that time - for both genders.

All images were taken with my NEX-6, using a Zeiss 85mm f:1.4 Sony Alpha mount lens and a Sony LA-EA2 adapter.

Civil War-603680.

Civil War-603640.

Civil War-603695. . . . . Civil War-603696.

Civil War-603667. . . . . Civil War-603650.

Civil War-603669. . . . . Civil War-603633.

Civil War-603757.

- Tom -

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice series :)
    The flag shot is my favourite

3. F77

F77 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2013
    Benevento
    Francesco
    Nice one !

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    What Nick said! :thumbup:

5. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Nice series. Real good IQ. Those people must be very dedicated to what they're doing.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Awesome. If I lived near one I would attend.

7. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    What David said. :D

- Tom -

8. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Your pics are great. I'll have to go to the next one in Valley Park down in Hurricane . . . and since you gave a little history lesson in the other thread, here's one for you: many outsiders wonder why a small city in WV is named Hurricane. Well, back before WV was even a state, the area was being surveyed by a group of men under the supervision of George Washington. At the mouth of a creek running through the area, a bunch of trees had been downed by severe weather. The surveyors noted in their report that the area looked like it had been struck by a hurricane. Washington replied - or so local folklore claims - ". . . then the name of the creek will be Hurricane Creek". A bridge crossing the creek on what is now Route 34 became known as Hurricane Bridge, and a stage coach stop was built there. That stage coach stop was replaced by a train station after Collis P. Huntington established a rail line through the area, and a settlement grew around the train station. That settlement eventually grew into the largest town in Putnam County . . . and those of you not from WV can now wake back up. :)

Tony

9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Nice photos. It's never an easy event to shoot but ya did well.