Do you have diffferent tripod for indoor and outdoor?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Aug 13, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    I was actually thinking to try my tripod to some outdoor shoots at the city lake. The problem though is that if I do that the legs of the tripod would become really muddy and dirty.. and I think it will not be good then to have that tripod also around at the house :p
    It does not sound very reasonable hygiene-wise :p

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    I have one. I clean it when it gets dirty.
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    I have gathered several tripods in the course of my photographic "career". I take the lightest with me on outings and a heavier one stays at home in my studio. Yes, I've fallen fair and square into the trap that Thom Hogan describes. BTW, I don't care too much about dirt on a tripod, I just wipe it off.
  4. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    I'm the same as Ad with a light weight carbon fibre travelling tripod (a Three Legged Thing "Brian") and a more heavy one (Manfrotto 190xprob) that I use at home.

I remember reading Thom's article some years ago and there's a lot of truth in that article. Don't scrimp on your tripod or you'll only end up regretting it and buying a better one later!
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Well, I followed Hogan's advice and bought a good tripod. Then I bought smaller, lighter ones anyway, so except for purchase order I didn't avoid what he warns against at all. Being a gear junkie has no bearing on any of this at all. ;)
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Sheesh. I now own 6 tripods and one monopod. And they each serve a purpose. Good advice is wasted on me. I'm a tripod whore. :cool:
  7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Ugh, I need to catch up. Not counting table top/pocket pods I only have 4. I do have two monopods though.
  8. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    You guys are just plain greedy :) I only have 1 tripod and 1 monopod. The tripod needs to take the 800mm and its not exactly a tripod for home use :) I agree with others, just clean it.

In fact a mate of mine is trying low angled and using wide lenses for Kingfisher shots. I took a few photos of his setup in salt water sand ....

And you have problems :) Look out when the tide comes in. So with fresh water, just clean it off. CRC-556 or similar could be useful I guess.