Do you have diffferent tripod for indoor and outdoor?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Aug 13, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I was actually thinking to try my tripod to some outdoor shoots at the city lake. The problem though is that if I do that the legs of the tripod would become really muddy and dirty.. and I think it will not be good then to have that tripod also around at the house :p
    It does not sound very reasonable hygiene-wise :p

Regards
    Alex

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I have one. I clean it when it gets dirty.

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I have gathered several tripods in the course of my photographic "career". I take the lightest with me on outings and a heavier one stays at home in my studio. Yes, I've fallen fair and square into the trap that Thom Hogan describes. BTW, I don't care too much about dirt on a tripod, I just wipe it off.

4. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    I'm the same as Ad with a light weight carbon fibre travelling tripod (a Three Legged Thing "Brian") and a more heavy one (Manfrotto 190xprob) that I use at home.

I remember reading Thom's article some years ago and there's a lot of truth in that article. Don't scrimp on your tripod or you'll only end up regretting it and buying a better one later!

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, I followed Hogan's advice and bought a good tripod. Then I bought smaller, lighter ones anyway, so except for purchase order I didn't avoid what he warns against at all. Being a gear junkie has no bearing on any of this at all. ;)

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sheesh. I now own 6 tripods and one monopod. And they each serve a purpose. Good advice is wasted on me. I'm a tripod whore. :cool:

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ugh, I need to catch up. Not counting table top/pocket pods I only have 4. I do have two monopods though.

8. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    You guys are just plain greedy :) I only have 1 tripod and 1 monopod. The tripod needs to take the 800mm and its not exactly a tripod for home use :) I agree with others, just clean it.

In fact a mate of mine is trying low angled and using wide lenses for Kingfisher shots. I took a few photos of his setup in salt water sand ....

DSC04649.

DSC04679.

And you have problems :) Look out when the tide comes in. So with fresh water, just clean it off. CRC-556 or similar could be useful I guess.

Danny.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.