Do you convert to DNG in Lightroom?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Bill, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    For Lightroom users. I'm curious to know how many of us convert to DNG and how many stick with the proprietary RAW file format?

2. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    I do. Because it allows me to open the file in another software for previewing. There are more softwares available that are able to open dng file than arw file. Another reason is dng is more future-proof (at least based on what i read somewhere).

Sent from my LG-E440 using TalkEmount mobile app

3. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
  4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I still use raw. I am new to this game so I am a bit cautious. The thing that has stopped me from making the move is for someone to clearly articulate what's lost when converting to DNG. DNG files are measurably smaller. My understanding is because it does not retain manufacturer's proprietary Metadata. Well is that data just like extra parts in do-it-yourself furniture or are they parts you will regret throwing away? I hate to be saying down the road, "oh, that's what that was for".

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I keep the raw files. I don't see any advantage in converting to DNG and I can only lose information while converting.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I did convert all my raw files to dng in 2012. But I immediately had to revert back to the original raw files (I had a backup) when I discovered that dng files from an older camera (Olympus E-10) we're not recognized by Aperture, whereas the original raw files still worked just fine. So, contrary to what I had assumed, converting to dng made my files less future-proof, not more.

It makes sense if you think about it. Why switch from a format that is supported by many different software vendors, to a supposedly "universal" one that is supported by only one, Adobe, which now has a solid history of yanking the rug out from under consumers?

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I also keep the RAW files

8. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    I had intended to convert to DNG. I did it for a few batches of photos. And then forgot about it.

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, I don't use LR (PS instead), but I usually leave my RAW files in ARW format. I only convert to DNG when I need to run CornerFix on them (because CF won't read a ARW file).

10. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I convert semi-keepers to JPEG and better shots to DNG. DNG files seem to take up about 15% less disk space with no loss of adjustability or quality that I can see.

11. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I have been converting to DOG for the past year or so because of RAW support on a non Sony camera. I have now started to question my thinking after reading these comments! WestOkid, Thank you for the great simple analogy!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

12. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    I always keep the original Raw files and don't bother converting to DNG. I think the future proofing argument is a bit bogus, there are millions and millions of images shot in proprietary Raw format, the idea that someday we will not be able to open them seems unlikely to me.

13. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    My first visit to the IP forum. Good topic. Just started using light room recently. I trusted Adobe and followed their recommendation to convert to DNG but can still go back w/o too much hassle. Can anyone expound on WestOkid's concern that some metadata is lost? If so, specifically which info. I know there are some settings when importing but don't know what might be missing.

14. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I know this is an old topic, but I have been bitten recently and I don't want it to happen to others.

As you can tell by the thread, I am not a believer in converting to dng. However, I am a big believer heuristic knowledge, so I did experiment with dng on import for about a month. I didn't notice any issue image wise, but the Sony software lost its ability to identify focus points and other stuff. I decided to switch back in fear of what else was missing.

Fast forward to today. I decide to give DXO optics a try, since so many people swear by it. I immediately understood the reason for the praise. However, when I tried to access any of the dng files, it didn't work. After scouring the web, it turns out DXO Optics does not support dng. It's not that big of a deal for me since, only have about a month (1/12 of my career. :confused: ) of photos in this format.

So think twice about storing your raw data in dng format. Even if you don't like software like DXO, who knows what other limits you may be placing on your future workflow.

• Like Like x 4
  15. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    I wish you added a third option. I keep both of them

• Like Like x 1
  16. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Curious. Why would you keep 2 different raw versions?

• Like Like x 1
  17. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    Not every program I use uses DNG

• Like Like x 1
  18. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    So why not just keep the Sony raw file? It just seems like extra work and extra storage to maintain 2 working versions. I hope I am not being a pain, but I just don't get it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    I keep the raw files on my server, they never make it to make into lightroom to increase my size of my catalog. Only if I plan to do something special do I bring them to my working computer. I also use LR 4. 4 and it does not import from some of the cameras I own. But I can use the free RAW to DNG convertor from Adobe to get them in.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    • Like Like x 1