1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do the latest Sony Mirrorless camera overheat in video mode?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Diamond, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Diamond

Diamond TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 7, 2013
    I have a Sony NEX 5N and noticed the overheating warning come up several times in the past and eventually the camera shuts down.
    I want to know if this problem occurs on any other models of Sony Mirrorless cameras?

I don't take many videos however I spent the weekend at a Music Festival and ended up shooting several hours of video using my Fuji SL1000 Bridge Camera, which worked flawlessly on a tripod being left to record for upto an hour at a time. However the video quality isn't as good as the Sony with a nice lens.

The main models I'm looking to get are the 5R, 5T, or A6000. If the A5100 had a hotshoe I'd consider that as well but off camera flash is too important to me.

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    My A6000 overheated on my filming the school play. However, it was on the hottest day of the year in a theatre full of hot people! It was sweltering in there...
    The performance the evening before was also very warm in there and it did fine - no overheat.

So yes, they overheat, but in my experience so far, only if the working environment is seriously hot already.

They do all stop at 29 mins to avoid being classed as a video device though.

3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I always shoot video with the screen flipped out/pulled away from the body to help it dissipate heat.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Diamond

Nov 7, 2013
    Just realised my Fuji Bridge Camera didn't stop at 29 Minutes - got 2 videos over an hour long :)

5. Diamond

Nov 7, 2013
    I do the same - Don't think it helps much with the NEX 5N,

I was hoping the more powerful Bionz X Processor would run cooler, then previous generations.

I believe there is a sticker on the back when removed reveals lots of air holes.
    I think I saw a mod online where someone removed the sticker and put a fan on their camera.

.. just found the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhW1dbeGIaE

• Like Like x 1
  6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    So after watching that video my first question (i have the 5r) are the holes present under my sticker? or was that only the 5/5n?
    i've def run into the overheating problem before. it's frustrating. esp when you are recording yourself. hard to know if it's doing it when you aren't looking at the screen.