1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do other people have problems with manual focus of adp lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by wbill, Sep 11, 2011.

1. wbill

wbill New to TalkEmount

Sep 11, 2011
    Do other people have problems when trying to focus adp lenses on the Nex? Or have I become to used to AF? The peaking with the last update has really helped but I still seem to have to work at it. What color of peaking seems to work best for others?
    thanks.....

2. heatherthevet

heatherthevet TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    I'm using the red peaking so as not to confuse myself too much. Sometimes it takes me a wee while to get my focus how I want it, but that doesn't bother me. That's mostly with the long lens (70-210). It's easier with the 35-70. I'm much happier with it now than I was, I think its a combination of getting used to it and practice.

3. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Go into the menu and set teh bottom button on camera back to 'manual assist',..also turn off peaking. Place a small(ish) object with sharp edges or corners on a table in good light,.....if yo udon't posess a tripod, place an upright chair near to the table and rest the NEX on the chairback so that the object is in the centre of the screen. Now turn the focus ring of the lens until the object looks to have become reasonably clear and 'sharp'. Now press 'manual assist' twice to give the highest magnification and examine the outline of the object,...by playing with the focus ring of the lens you will be able to see where the point of focus is and practice going in and out of focus.... You will note that you can take the point of sharpest focus back and forth over the object,...so now choose where you want to be in sharpest focus and 'make the exposure'.

Excercise 2,.....try to keep the eye of a pet in focus using just the manual focus ring of the lens.

4. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    It can be due to inferior adapters too which do not focus to infinity properly. I have a couple of cheap adapters that require a slight turn back from the indicated infinity mark on the lens body to focus. I do use peaking and fit it really useful, but I generally use it in conjunction with manual assist.

5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    My very first manual focus experience was with m4/3 earlier this year and though it was better after I bought an EVF, I still found it unreliable and frustrating (after 20 years using AF !). Then in early September I starred using a NEX with peaking, and I can say I've ditched AF since and am having a blast with MF !
    Since I shot only moving targets (people and pets), magnification is useless to me, but peaking is godsent. I usually set it to Mid and use yellow in good light, and light in lower light.
    What one needs is a LOT of practice, but you do get a lot better after a while.
    So far AF performance in NEX (and I do have the new 6) hasn't made me want to give up MF.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    exactlly

Almost exactly what I do; yellow and low. 90% of the time the peaking is more than adequate. I love that I choose what is in focus, rather than the camera choosing for me. I have been using my manual lenses almost exclusively for a year now and still miss some shots, and am still learning. I am getting about an 80% in focus rate when shooting moving subjects. It takes time, so don't get frustrated.

As mentioned on a subject with eyes, focus on the eyes. Also as mentioned infinity can be a bit off on some of the adapters, so pay attention to that.

However manual focusing does get a bit challenging at the extremes. When I am in the more open Apertures, (anything above 3.0), I really have to pay attention. Additionally when it is a dark environment and/or the contrast is very minimal it can be hard to find a good focus. The magnification feature is an awesome help if you have the time, but often the time is not there.

I have been using my manual lenses almost exclusively for a year now and still miss some shots, and am still learning. I am getting about an 80% in focus rate when shooting moving subjects. It takes time, so don't get frustrated.

7. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    For some reason, i found focus peaking better on the 5n with the Helios i have been using. I have it really frustrating on the 7, had to set peaking to high and still not as clear as on the 5n using mid. I got a different lens today, which seems to peak better, but it may be just that im getting used to the 7, still using high peaking though, in white.

8. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I use Yellow medium peak as well - never actually tried low to be honest, I should probably experiment a bit more. I did try red and white though and found yellow the best in most cases, especially outdoors.

What I do notice though is that some lenses peak more than others - which makes them easier to use. I have only ever used the Nex 5 and rear lcd so cannot compare with other models or with using an evf.

9. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    As a general experience, I find it is directly related to how contrasty a lens is (which is only logical). Very contrasty lenses peak very well, lenses that lack contrast (the KAR 40/1.8 and 50/1.7 I tried had very low contrast) have a hard time peaking. My Hexanon 35/2 EE though had beautiful contrast and peaked very well.

10. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Damn, i just bought the Hex 40. Another learning curve for me then ;)

It is entirely logical that it be relative to contrast. I do wonder if others think different NEX models differ in focus peaking sensitivity.

11. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Maybe other 40:1.8 act differently. Another thing I've noticed (sadly) is strong sample variations...