1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do I have a story to tell...Canon 70-210mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Aaronius31, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Aaronius31

Aaronius31 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    As a few of you may know, I just got a (finally functional) NEX6 a few days ago and I've been having a blast with the PZ 16-50 and the Fujian 35mm/1.7. I then also spent $40 shipped on a Minolta Rokkor 50mm MC 1.4 or something (i havent slept in 36hrs so I cant remember the name). Well I've been looking for a manual 70-210mm or something of that nature and was going to bid on a Minolta Quantaray 70-210mm yesterday and I bid with 2secs left but my bid didnt go through! It ended up selling for $40 which was too steep for me anyway as I'm a bit low on money at the moment.

So my friend, so I thought, just has a Canon T3 and uses it for his art projects and stuff. But as I was showing him the NEX6 and his eyes melting from the OLED and how it can be adapted to use virtually any legacy lens, he breaks the news to me...he's got 2 legacy Canon lenses and was willing to give me one. He said he barely uses them and they're in near-mint condition and that a friend passed them onto him. He gave me this beautiful Canon EF 70-210mm f4 for free and is not accepting any money since he got it for free. He knows ill get much more use out of it since ive got focus peaking and am vigorously getting into video and photography so he was happy to give it to me. And I looked on eBay and fhey are easily going for $100ish.

All in all, within a week of having my camera, I'll have the kit lens, a 35mm toy lens, a nice 50mm minolta, and a 70-210mm for some tangy moon shots...I couldn't be happier right now, especially since his friend is bringing me to our university's cinematography studio on Wednesday.

I'm in love with life right now.

3450mc6.

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I think this is actually an AF lens !
    It's the push pull, constant F4 version that has long being called the poor man's L zoom. It's supposed to be cracking good optically. Make sure to report when you get to test it !!

3. Aaronius31

Feb 25, 2013
    Awesome, yeah you just made me re-look and it does say AF next to the macro and stuff. Sweet! Thanks for the extra info on it. I'll definitely have a Minolta and Canon adapter later this week and will go crazy with it then post results! Man...I am so pumped that its supposed to be good stuff :D

4. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad you are having fun, and have such generous friends.

6. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    EF lenses are completely electronic, so a cheap ($40) adapter not only means manual focus, it means you can't adjust the aperture. You'd have to get one of the more expensive adapters with electronics if you want to shoot at anything other than wide open.

The metabones adapter with speedboost would be quite expensive, but would turn that lens into a True 70-210 with F/4 DoF and F2.8 lighting. But if a $40 lens what out of your range, the smart adapter is beyond that, and the speedboost adapter is way beyond that :(

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, even having to shoot it wide open isn't all bad. Friends like that need to be cherished. :)

8. Aaronius31

Feb 25, 2013
    Thanks guys! My friends are definitely generous and I definitely plan on treating them the same as they have me :) But yeah I know I'd need to manual focus which is fine with me because of focus peaking, and I'll start saving up for a Metabones Spped Booster haha. And its not that I couldn't afford the $40 one, just didnt have the money at the time. I should have enough in 6 weeks to get a metabones if I want to. I'll have to think about it.

One question, can I put the lens on his Canon T3 to change the aperture and then put it back on mine?

9. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Depends on... Normally AF lenses close the aperture when the camera is switched off.
    The NEX does the same...
    That's because it's the "zero point" from the mechanical point of view.

10. Aaronius31

Feb 25, 2013
    Hmm, so if I have the aperture set at what I want while its on, can I just take off the lens real quick and it will stay at that aperture?

11. clockwork247

clockwork247 TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 31, 2012

I know some people do it with their canon lens. I don't think canon has the aperture lever like alpha mount, the aperture is control with electronics, so if you want to use a certain aperture, slap it on a canon body, set the aperture, and take the lens out... (not sure how that works since I know every camera meter lens wide open)... but apparently it works, i read it from one of the posts before.

12. Aaronius31

Feb 25, 2013
    Great, thanks Clockwork! I also found, for a steep $30, an EF-to-E adapter with a built-in aperture which may be worth it

13. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    You can put the lens on a canon body, use DOF preview to close down the aperture, and then unmount the lens, with the ap stopped down (hold the DOF preview button).

14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    This is the only way to do it AFAIK. The lens aperture will remain closed down to the chosen aperture until it is remounted on a Canon body.

15. clockwork247

clockwork247 TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 31, 2012
    this is correct, what i wrote is wrong, lol, i knew something was off when i described it :)

16. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Except, what the heck is a Canon "bottom" lol. Corrected to Canon "body"

17. Aaronius31

Feb 25, 2013
    Thanks very much guys! Do you reccomend using the above method to change aperture every time I go out and shoot, with an $11 adapter...or should I spend $32 on an adapter with built-in aperture blades and never have to worry about changing aperture via a Canon body and only being able to do it every so often?

18. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    The secondary aperture built into the adapter isn't a true aperture - It's at the wrong location. It's job is to cut down the overall light, but if memory serves, it doesn't affect the DoF - Meaning the images taken will still have a shallow DoF, because the aperture that counts (The one in the lens itself) is wide open.

Don't take this as gospel - it is just what I have read - I have no actual experience in this matter, and where I read this could be incorrect.