1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Do I have a problem?!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nate_Dogg, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Nate_Dogg

Nate_Dogg TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    Okay, I feel like my lens collection is getting a bit out of control, especially with my recent run on legacy lenses from Ebay. Is this collection on the verge of being over the top, or does this look pretty typical to folks? In other words, should I stop the madness?

Here is a list of the lenses:

Native E-Mount:
    SEL-1855
    SEL-18200
    SEL-16F28
    Wide-angle converter
    Fisheye converter
    Sigma 30 f/2.8mm

Alpha Mount:
    LA-EA2 Adapter
    SAL-35F18
    SAL-50F18
    SAL-85F28
    SAL-1650
    SAL-18135
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
    Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
    Bower 8mm f/3.5

Legacy:

Minolta MC Rokkor 24mm f/2.8
    Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm f/1.4
    Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm f/3.5 Macro
    Minolta MC Tele Rokkor 135mm f/2.8
    Minolta MD Rokkor 35-70mm f/3.5
    Minolta MD Rokkor 35-70mm f/3.5 Macro (on the way)
    Nikkor 85mm f/2 AIS
    Pentax Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5
    Olympus Pen-F 38mm f/1.8
    Leica Summicron DR 50mm f/2
    Voigtlander Color Skopar 21mm f/4

DSC08960.JPG

2. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Yes:) But if your happy, why not?

3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    If I was going to have a problem, I would want it to look something like this...

4. clockwork247

clockwork247 TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 31, 2012
    you have a problem similar to me, but i like the lens you have more than mine haha.

5. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    You can donate the wide angle converter to me :D

Sent from my Nexus 7

6. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Problem? Nah...you have an avocation.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    BTW, I have the same set of Rokkors. You are a person of taste and culture.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Problem? Yep! You don't have a 85/1.4. That's a problem. :p

9. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Pffft, no SEL 35 or 50?

What kind of weak-a$$ed collection is that! :biggrin:

+1

10. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    My rule is "use it or get rid of it". I don't want a lens collection, as that sounds like they are more for display than for use.

11. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I'm kinda the same way. I can only use one lens at a time, and I only need one lens per chosen focal range. That's not to say I don't like to buy and try and re-sell and try something else, but I don't have the spare cash to tie up in huge lens collections and photography isn't about collecting gear for me. So I get what I need and use it or get rid of it.

But...to those that do collect and have more lenses than they know what to do with or buy stupidly expensive gear, hey, more power to ya...if that's your thing...cool by me.

12. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    +1 :biggrin:

But you definitely have a problem... or I would if this would be my collection and my wife would see it...
    But there's help: Just contact the IALC ( = International Anonymous Lens Collectors) help line.
    It's 001-800-TOO-MUCH-LENSES... ;) ;) ;)

13. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    You don't have a problem per se... you just have way too many lenses !!
    When I was at the worst of my lensaholism, I was buying one PER DAY (no kidding). Thankfully that was only to try them out and resell them right after, I'm a serial switcher but never had the soul of a collector (I hardly ever own more than two or three camera bodies *at the same time* (but can go through three or four within a month without blinking, lol).
    I see a lot of overlaping focal lengths here, double use between SEL and SAL, and more double (make that triple, then) use with some of the legacy. You need a good culling session (and some therapy time).
    I'll repeat, I've been thru it and it's healthy to live it out... but you need to do just that, snap out of it. That's an insane amount of cash sleeping (and in the native mount lenses case, depreciating) here, that you could put to better use for... other camera bodies ?? (or buy your significant other something nice ??).
    I'd really think long and hard about what you truly use (and be honest, don't hide being excuses like what you "could" use, but single what you actually DO), and part with the rest.
    Just my 02 cents, if you're happy with it fine, but you asked ;-)

14. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    I cant believe that you have a problem because I would have to admit that I also have a problem and I am not about to do that. I just did a quick head count and although my lenses don't go near yours for expense except for my a mounts of course I counted 17 lenses, 3 body's, 6 bags, 3 tripods, 1 mono-pod and a bunch of accessories and I fully intend to keep the lot in fact I will expand that collection whenever I can. lol I must be sick.

15. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Oh geez Simsy, maybe we should't do that ??
    Let me see... 7 camera bodies in the house (NEX 7, Fuji X10, D90, F80, S90, some Nikon Coolpix I gave my girl for her 2nd birtdhay, and a loaner GX-1 that does NOT belong to me, doesn't count, eh eh...). Hmm, that's a lot. Disclaimer : the S90 and Coolpix are respectively occasionnaly used by my husband and 4 yr old, though I get a feeling both will be replaced by the X10 that they'll soon want to use, too !

Lenses : SEL35/1.8 (my ONLY native E lens), PEN F 38/1.8, 2 Rokkors, 1 Asahi Pentax 55/1.8, 2 OM lenses, 1 CZ in M42 mount, and an old Nikkor 75-240 zoom (which is my only F mount left). 1 old EOS mount Sigma 28-70 with broken AF... 2 loaner m4/3 PL lenses (25 and 45 macro, don't count).

Adapters, lots of them : C mount, M mount, Minolta, PEN F, OM, M42, Konica AR. The C, M and KAR rings are unused since I don't own any lens with the corresponding mount, duh...
    The only two cameras getting real regular use are the NEX 7 (daily) and Fuji X10 (on trips), most used lenses : SEL35 and PEN38.
    I have a couple of wrist stras, a LOT of UNUSED filters and caps of all sort I don't even know how I got, no tripo, and only a couple of bags. Oh yeah, two flash units, SB-600 and FL-36, which, in all honesty, are probably the best photographic purchases I ever made...
    Pftt, now I feel like I still have a problem too !

16. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    LOL it kinda gets scary when you have a good look at what you have hey I didn't count the 60lt plastic box full of straps cases cloths filters hoods ect ect. or the other cameras in the house that I don't use lets see there is at least 6 old p/s and film cameras laying around and the wife Sony hx30v of course.

17. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    Wise man.

18. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    Minimalism maximises the benefits

19. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    You have a serious problem and I think you should sell some of your lenses to me for cheap, lol :p
    I'll gladly dispose you from a few :D

P.S. your collection is excellent btw ;)

20. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    If you don't want to bring Nick into some trouble I'll help out here too...!!!!