Do be need a full frame adapted lens section of the A7 and A7r ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bobbywise, Nov 12, 2013.

1. bobbywise

bobbywise TalkEmount Regular

Nov 6, 2013
    Nantes, France
    Robert Wisbey
    Do be need a full frame adapted lens section of the A7 and A7r in order to distinguish the samples from the APS-C Nex samples ?

:D

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't think so. I mean, you could make the case that we should have a separate lens section for the NEX-7 and the NEX-6 (et al.), since ultrawide-angle rangefinder lenses behave so differently on the NEX-7. But that doesn't seem to be an issue here. My guess is that most posters here will mention it if they're showing a sample that's significantly different from the others.

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Maybe an optional thread title tag e.g. [APS-C] or [FF] could be added via the software?

4. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    @Wood Worker: Respectfully I disagree. Yes, it is similar to the NEX-5N/6 vs NEX-7 but there is a big difference. We aren't just talking about a difference in color shifts and smearing we're seeing a whole new area of projected image with the A7 & A7R. I don't think there should be different segments for an A7 vs A7R (like there isn't for the variations of APS-C e-mount cameras) but they way an APS-C sized sensor captures a lens vs a full 35mm sensor is too fundamentally different. Think of the field curvature of the summiluxs (or many other lenses) for example. That change in focus is the edge of an APS-C sensor but mid-way in full-frame.

Also, there may be a new crop of people joining this forum who will not have a history in APS-C e-mount for them the mix will be confusing and slow. Splitting off a separate section of full-frame e-mount won't harm what's already there but will add value to the site. I imagine it won't take long for the admin to set up either.

5. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Good points, storyteller. But should we then also have separate lens sample sections for those using a Metabones, or similar speed booster? The same issues apply there, don't they?

Fortunately, I don't have to decide. ;)

6. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I'd say no. Each NEX camera was different. The 5n sensor heralded as better than the rest for wide angle legacy lenses, for example. If we start having different sections for each camera, we'd have to reorganize everything that's already here.

I would just suggest that people include the camera type in the sample posts, whether a lens turbo is used, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. storyteller

Sep 25, 2011
    I disagree. Yes, the metabones adapters muddy the waters because they change the DoF and FoV of a lens but it is still an APS-C sensor. So my vote would be there. I suppose speed booster shots could go in the full-frame segment since after all I won't be able to get similar results unless I have a similar adapter (or full-frame camera). I don't see how the issue with speed boosters takes away from the need to better prepare/organize the database if we want it to be better resource moving forward.

I do think that members should be either posting what camera and adapter they used. Precisely because especially adapted lenses vary so much from model to model.

There are no full-frame E-mount cameras (well except the VG900 but are there that many sample shots from that camera already posted?) so it wouldn't be reorganizing for each camera. It would simply be preparing for the future when it is most convenient. NOW is the time to make the change however as the A7's are already starting to ship out in some countries.

8. storyteller

Sep 25, 2011
    That wasn't what the OP asked or what I supported. Having different sections for different sensor sizes is very different than having a separate section for each camera model.

100% agree. I'd go farther and set up some rules/guidelines on how/where to list the information to make it easy to search and spot.

9. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I think it would be great if people listed the camera/lens combo for each of their shots here. I also think it would be great if people filled out their profiles so that we could see their real names, and where they're posting from.

I also wish people would use their turn indicators, and stop saying "I could care less," and learn the difference between then and than, and there, they're, and their. :rolleyes:

But I'm none too (to, two?) comfortable with too many rules about what gets posted where. Yes, chaos needs to be avoided, and easily found information is good. But is this perhaps not just a solution in search of a problem at this point? If this were to come up for a vote, I'd vote to wait and see how the introduction of FF systems plays out. For now.

10. bobbywise

bobbywise TalkEmount Regular

Nov 6, 2013
    Nantes, France
    Robert Wisbey
    Interesting ideas raised by everyone so far.
    For me, I think there is value in having separate section to distinguish between FF and APS-C.
    Having a separate section really allows you to focus only on FF if you wanted to.

I do however like the idea of using FF in the subject title to distinguish it from APS-C if no separate section was created. Obviously we wouldn't need to use APSC in the title, because it was never used by default at the start when FF did not exist.

Also, as mentioned in another recent post, I think it would also be useful to have a dedicated section for the lens correction settings. People could add the lens correction values they use for their lenses. When someone adds a new lens, we could then add to the post with our own settings if they differed from the original poster for that particular lens.