DIY tilt shift lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by robbie1985, Jul 29, 2013.

1. robbie1985

robbie1985 TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    Newcastle, UK
    So a while ago I bought an old Soviet prime in the form of a Helios 58mm f2 from a Sunday market for less than £10. I used it on my old Canon DSLR via an M42 adapter for a while and kept it in my bag for occassional use, but once I shelled out and bought a 50mm 1.4 it never got used again.

Then more recently I stumbled across this little gem of a video:

[video]DIY Tilt Shift lens[/video]

As fate would have it the chap used the same Helios prime I had lying around. So I set to work and made my own following his instructions. Here's mine plus some images

Tilt Lens 01s.

Baltic 02 s.

Tilt 01 Hallway s.

Tilt 02 Flower s.

Tiny Pub 01 s.

Now used on my NEX6 with an EOS to Emount adapter or my wonderful Zhongyi Lens Turbo. But you could make this lens in any mount you liked, I just used EOS as I had the Canon at the time
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Link doesn't work.
  3. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011

I woudn't call it a high quality tilt-shift lens. It's more like a DIY Lensbaby.
  4. Martytoof

Martytoof TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    I have the same Helios, but I haven't been able to unscrew the lens assembly from the barrel. I've literally stripped the skin from my palm trying to do this but no dice :(
  5. robbie1985

robbie1985 TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    Newcastle, UK
    Hmm not sure what to recommend, mine just came straight out. Are you definitely screwing the right part? From the mount up to the range focal meter is all one part, everything above that is the other

Sent from my HTC One XL using TalkNEX mobile app