Diseases that plague photographers

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bimjo, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't consider myself a "photographer" but heck I have most of those "diseases" :D

Great/fun read :)

3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    GAS is a very familiar term from the music world. :cool:

4. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Guilty :eek:

5. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    GAS is very familiar disease to a lot of us. And not only to photographers. Nearly any serious hobbyist will have it. My wife's sewing. I have been into woodworking for 40 years and I'll bet I have tools that I don't know I have. But then my memory, or lack of, is another issue. :)

Larry

6. Hypocaffeinic

Hypocaffeinic TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    Oh god I have LBA. That's embarrassing enough in itself, but even worse is that I've never heard of this "Canikon" lens.. never, and I used to consider myself an enthusiast! How did this get past me? How have I never tried them?! I feel such a fraud. *hangs head in shame* :sad010:

7. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    To be fair though photography is a hobby that closely parallels the love for gear, technology etc.. I guess it's fine as long as you don't go over board.

IMHO, when you start liking the photos that you shoot you will find yourself getting less affected by the "plague".

There was a time when I owned and collected a lot of gear particularly lenses with the belief that perfect lens is just around the corner, I was even one of the early adopters of using legacy glass when I started to use my old minolta lenses as I was not satisfied with the native lenses available. Whether it be more dof, better contrast, or smoother bokeh I always held the belief that better contrast, better bokeh, more dof, etc.. would make my images look better, then it dawned on me...I just didn't like the images I have been taking.

I had a good look at the the way that I shoot and what I shoot and tried to make images that I enjoyed instead of images that are popular, as a result it's been over a year now since I bought anything gear and I don't think I'll be getting any new gear sometime in the future afterall what's the point? I like the images the I'm taking now and I don't want to change a thing. As a result I am now taking images that aren't necessarily good, but they're the images that I like.

Perhaps a rhetorical question, Does a person with the latest, most expensive, and best equipment suffer GAS? and if they do, what do they GAS for?

Again this is just IMHO

Also its important to remember the difference between someone who gets gear with the belief that it will dramatically improve their pictures and someone who gets new gear because of their genuine love for new technology and gadgets.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, but… I buy old stuff. :doh:

9. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    That's cool, that makes you more of a collector and a connoisseur :biggrin:

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, maybe my wife will buy that line. ;)

11. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    hahaha!! :rofl:

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, maybe not. :frown:

13. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I don't mean to promote bad habits, please feel free to delete this post if necessary, but I find it easier to say sorry after buying something than asking permission :evilsmile:

*Disclaimer: You must also be prepared to sleep on the couch for weeks, eat all the foods you hate for weeks, and spend your salary for the forseeable future on roses, chocolates, and other gifts.

14. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I have a 37+ year habit of doing just that. Got the knots on my noggin to prove it too. :p

15. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Well, I'm not trying to give anyone bad ideas... but I had a colleague who was into train models. Those things are seriously expensive and his wife hated them. So whenever he bought a new set he had it delivered to work. Then he took an old set to work and brought the new one back home. Apparently, the wife had counted them but couldn't really tell them apart ;)

I don't do that sort of thing of course.

16. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I'm taking notes :cool:

17. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Very happy to report I am disease free!

18. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Until… ;)

19. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Of course, denial is part of the disease ;)

But I am also glad to report that my GAS, LBA and TUB have been in remission for the last few months. I still post here most days, so I guess I need to work a bit more on my PFA.