Disassembling Rokkors

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jai, Jul 24, 2014.

1. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    One of the reasons I enjoy using old Minolta lenses is the feel of them, especially the smooth damped focussing action.

One of my favorite lenses began to feel a bit gritty and rough when I focused it, so I decided to try and take it apart.

Turns out there is a dude on youtube who has excellent instructions on how to do this:

I managed to fix the focusing action on that lens, and it gave me the courage to go back and fix another lens that was focusing past infinity.

Adjusting a Rokkor so that it focuses exactly to infinity, with the adapter you are using, is actually really easy. Much easier than cleaning the focusing mechanism. You don’t have to follow all the steps he does in the video to achieve this, but it is worth watching the start and end of the video to see what is involved.

Don’t blame me if you ruin a lens! I tried it out first on a lens I wouldn’t miss much.
    • Like Like x 10
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 9, 2013
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    That's a pretty superb set of videos he has. I'll be watching the entirety of the 58mm f/1.2 video at some point.

If only there was that sort of detailed info for other brands. Canon FDn lenses can be a nightmare.

(edit: I have to say, I'm really impressed by just how modular these Rokkor normals are!)
  3. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    They are quite modular, and relatively easy to fix. I could see myself buying broken lenses for parts and swapping bits around.

I fixed the focussing action on my lens by just cleaning grit out, but I think eventually it would be good to have the correct grease to lubricate them. Does anybody know what to use?
  4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There are special helicoid lubes available but I use super lube.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    seems like this guy only disassembles primes ..... Is there anywhere I can learn to disassemble a sigma K2 70-200 f/4.5. Just need to clean the outermost glass from the inside. It has a huge dust ring
  6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    You probably need suitable piece of rubber (kitchen sink plug, demijohn bung etc.). You press the rubber thing down and rotate. That will remove the bezel holding front lens. The lens should be taken out with suction cup.

For cleaning lighter fluid and swaps work very well.