1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Disappointment... (sorta)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by quezra, Nov 7, 2012.

1. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Well I've been raving about 28/2.0 as my favorite length at the moment, so yesterday I went to go try out the Voigtlander Ultron in a store. It was beautiful to hold and wield, but at the end of the day, I couldn't tell the difference in sharpness between it at my antique $75 FDn 28/2. The colour was probably a bit better (hard to tell in a store) but that was it.

Then I went to another store and found a nice Thorium concave FD 35/2 sitting right next to a FDn 35/2. And here there was not one bit of difference between the two. In fact I thought if anything the FDn was sharper (and also smaller and lighter - the concave 35/2 was almost as heavy as my 55/1.2!), and also $80 cheaper. It's so hard to tell objectively till you try, and then the grass isn't always greener.

It looks like it's going to be a straight fight between Zeiss 24 and 32 lenses for me to see any improvement from what I have now, and waaah that's a lota money!

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Just goes to show how good those FD primes are! I suppose the main advantages of the Ultron would be size and beauty. In exchange, you give up minimum focus distance and pay a lot more.

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah, it's been a good reality check for me. I have to remember that these were the best lenses of their day, and more expensive/newer doesn't always equal better.

And of course the Ultron is more "expensive" only because it's up against 20-40 year-old lenses - in their day, these Canons were no different (I read that the FL 55/1.2 was the most expensive mass market lens in its day - on Canon Museum it says it retailed in 1968 for 363,000 Yen which was at that time over USD 1,000 or about USD 6,700 in today's prices! Even the FDn 28/2 in 1979 retailed at $300 which is $1,000 in today's prices), so if you get a good copy, it's like striking gold.