1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dirty sensor :/

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by tomO2013, Jun 5, 2015.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    So generally speaking I am over the top about babying my equipment.

I usually extend that careful treatment to swapping lenses etc...

I took my a7ii and a7s to vancouver last weekend. Shot the 24-70z primarily and only noticed now when opening up the images that many of them have dark spots on the image - clearly sensor is dirty and needs a clean :/
    I'm no stranger to cleaning a sensor with a rocket blower and have done a wet wipe clean before.
    However I have not done such a procedure with a body with IBIS.
    Has anybody done a wet wipe sensor clean with their A7ii?
    I have an Em1 that needed the same procedure done a while back and untimately I chickened out for fear of damaging/misaligning the gimbal system.

2. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    I think it should be fine as long as you don't apply a significant amount of pressure, which you shouldn't any way. I plan on doing a wet clean soon to my A7ii.

3. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I have done we clean on my A7ii and EM1 (although the EM1 hardly ever needed it) without any problems. I am pretty sure the sensor locks into position with the power off. Also if you try the in built cleaning mode this gives a very vigorous shake to the sensor, so the whole setup should be very robust. Sadly the A7ii is incredibly prone to sensor spots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Regular

May 21, 2016
    randy
    I am noticing a few spots on mine as well. Really obvious at smaller apertures as seen below. I'm ok using a Rocket Blower, but I'm real hesitant to physically touch it and perform a wet clean.

f/16
    DSC01456.

• Like Like x 1
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Apparently it is wise for all Mark II models with IBIS to lock the sensor in place by activating the Cleaning function in the camera, like Brian Smith says in a blogpost of his.
    i-xgw5MSH-M.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    No worry. Try the blower first (2-3 squirt before blowing the sensor). If not enough just follow what Ad has reported then do a gentle wet cleaning (many tutos available on youtube). You only have 2 small dust spots. Should not be a big deal. I clean my sensors myself.
    Again always a few squirts before blowing the sensor...

7. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Regular

May 21, 2016
    randy
    I count at least 10, but two are certainly more visible. I used a blower and did a censor cleaning. as soon as the clouds clear, I'll check to see if it worked.

That said, any recommendation on wet sensor cleaning products?

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks for that info from Brian Smith, Ad. But for what it's worth, I've already cleaned the sensor on my A7II with a dry LensPen four times now, without ever locking down the sensor or worrying about it in any way. Just don't be ham fisted about it, and your sensor will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
  10. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    Within a week of getting my A7 I had a significant dust that wouldn't blow off. I first tried the Sensor Swab product and it prob would have worked except I picked up oil adjacent to the sensor and introduced a smear that the Sensor Swabs couldn't remove. :doh: After a bunch of reading, ordered a Visible Dust kit with the VDust Plus solution and it worked great. My advise is do not get off the sensor at all and if you do get the swab out of there.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. DYNOBOB

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    Thank you for this info!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris Munden

Chris Munden TalkEmount Regular

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    Apparently the NEX and later Alpha models are very vulnerable to dust on the sensor as the sensor is so close to the lens mount aperture, If you are using primes take extra care changing lenses. I guess this is the advantage of a Bridge camera, no lens changing, no dust, well one would hope so.

13. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    But if there is dust in a fixed-lens camera, you're in for an expensive repair. My daughter's P&S camera shows some serious dust so that's basically a write-off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, I've read several reports over the years of bridge cameras vacuuming dust into the mechanism while extending their lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

If only Sony could get auto sensor cleaning down as solidly as Olympus...

16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    ...or offer one of them unobtainium sensor covers that we could just wipe down with our sweaty thumbs. :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  17. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    This is my really grubby A7RII sensor! It made me invest in a blower finally after all these years, it worked a treat!

DSC06169.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow, never seen anything like that!!! Where do you keep your camera, in the Sahara desert? Lol :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. DYNOBOB

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    One of my justifications for the 24-70GM was knowing it would very rarely get removed from the camera... :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 2
  20. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    I haven't noticed anything much on it up until recently, it seems that cold North wind in Tromso blew all kinds of muck on my sensor!

• Like Like x 1