1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DigitalRev -- got a duties bill one month later

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Apr 17, 2015.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Bought a Sony 24/2.0 lens from DigitalRev, shipped to the US. DigitalRev shipped by DHL.

A month later, I got a duties bill from DHL.

Has this been anyone else's experience?

2. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    duties from our government?

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Technically any item bought from a foreign land and imported is subject to duties.

4. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Unless they have free treaty agreement with US, such as Singapore.

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    First time I heard this. I never had DHL delivery/digitalrev purchase but SAR was saying that digitalrev is supposedly including all the duties in their prices which is normally not charged for US imports...

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Yes, same experience.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    does the digital rev site say anything about you paying duities

8. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    I agree, though I've had things from eBay come via USPS without duties. This is my first DHL shipment.

9. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Fine print says they are not responsible for duties (found after I went back to my order e-mail, clicked through the order, then clicked on terms).

10. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    i would wrire digitalRev and tell them that this is some what dishonest. I will never do business with them because of this

11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Hmmm, odd. I had bought a Takumar lens from a Japanese seller on ebay, and it entered through customs and eventually delivered. No duty fee.
    What was the valuation of your lens? I know we're allowed to re-enter the USA with foreign purchases up to $300 IIRC. If it's not excessively expensive, it falls under personal informal usage.

12. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I paid no fee on my Minolta 200 from Japan. Well over 300...

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I buy a lot from Japan. I think I paid a fee once. But DigitalRev I bought only once, and I had to pay customs just like @WT21@WT21

14. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    I sent an email to digital rev, and they say that if i send them proof of customs payment, then they will reimburse me. I'll let you know how that goes.

15. davidzvi

davidzvi New to TalkEmount

May 2, 2015
    David
    How much was the fee %? I was considering buy something from them since they were the same price as others on eBay but at least they were a name I recognized.

16. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    5.8%

17. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    When I ordered in china from various ebay sellers or directly from Mitakon, they always declared the package as containing either a "gift" or a very low value "camera adapter", which means I never had to pay import duty. However, yes, by law you have to pay import duties when importing good from other countries (except ones within free trade areas).

18. davidzvi

davidzvi New to TalkEmount

May 2, 2015
    David
    I wonder if this is also the case with all the Amazon sellers? Or (not being up on trade agreements) is Japan a free trade area. I would think it is but you know the line "did I just hear the word think".:D

19. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    No taxes from Amazon or ebay with EMS/USPS or fedex shipments, maybe due to the shipment volumes and the expenses...

• Informative Informative x 1