1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Difference between these 50mm 1.4 Takumar Lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tokayto, Jan 16, 2015.

1. tokayto

tokayto TalkEmount Regular

May 25, 2014
    Hi!

I have seen two different takumar lenses and i wonder whats the difference?

I have read about something called 8 and 7 elements but could not understand exactly what it means.

Is there anyone who can explain and tell which was is better and why?

Thank you.

Lens 1

50mm 1.4 Super Multi Coated

Serial: 5010390

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421428664.625199.

Lens 2

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421428681.214420.

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I don't believe that there is a great difference in optical quality. The first is 8 element one and was quite expensive to produce, later is 7 element one.

Here are reviews of them:
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Super-Takumar-50mm-F1.4-Early.html
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-S-M-C-Super-Takumar-50mm-F1.4.html

I have the later one and it is ok wide open for my use but won't stand pixel peeping (which may be caused by movement blur etc.). Mechanically extremely good.

First one is quite pricey compared to the later one.

• Like Like x 3
  3. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Hi Tokyato,

I have two Tak 50 1.4s -- the second version of the 50 1.4 (first 7 element, without Super multi coating) and the one with the rubber focusing ring you are showing in picture #2.

Both lenses you are showing there are 7 element versions. While the 8 element version can be a better performer, the big price difference between the 7 and 8 element versions is IMO more of a reflection of its rarity.

Both lenses you are showing are multi-coated and may handle flare better than the 8 element version.

I don't know how they got the focusing so smooth on those Takumars --like butter.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tokayto

May 25, 2014
    Thank you so much for the info SpaceManSpiff. If you would buy one lf them which one would u buy and how much would you pay for it?

Lens 1 i can get it for 86$ with Asahi Pentax camera.

Lens 2 i can get it for 61 with Asahi Spotmatic F

I already have a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 S.C.C do you think that it's worth to buy one of these lenses?

5. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    You are welcome Tokyato!

Hmmm...tricky question.
    I should say this, I cannot comment on how my copies of these lenses perform (I keep forgetting to get the adapter, duh!).
    In theory I think they should perform very similarly (same optical formula, both have multi-coating). It might just come down to what condition the lens it in.

Price-wise it is a difficult question --I don't know where you are located or what your market dictates. At US prices, neither of these prices are not out of the order for a 50 1.4 lens with a camera body...but not a bargain. At the $86 price, I would expect either lens to be in excellent shape (no fungus, haze, or damaged filter threads; but, perhaps minor wear visible) and the cameras to be in working order.

Build-wise, I prefer the version with the metal hill-and-valley focusing ring. It just feels special somehow, a wonderful quality feel. However, Optically, I think they should perform very similarly (same optical formula, both have multi-coating).

If you plan on shooting film sometime, the Spotmatic was one of the first SLRs to offer TTL metering; however, the Spotmatic F has an advantage over the Spotmatic in that it offers open-aperture metering which speeds up the metering and focusing process.

Re: if you need two 50 1.4 lenses.
    I regularly use an OM 50 1.4 and a Pentax-M 50 1.4...and I find them to be different enough (examples below) in character that I intend to keep both even though they offer similar performance and FL.

The OM 1.4 is contrasty with a warmer color rendition, and a more busy bokeh.
    https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=6690

OTOH, the Pentax-M 50 1.4 has a smoother bokeh, less contrast, and cooler colors.
    https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=5806
    https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=6918

HTH,
    Eric

• Like Like x 1
  6. tokayto

May 25, 2014
    Wow! You know so much about these things. I will check your samples and think again. Thank you for your effort and help Eric. It was so helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Happy to help my forum-friend!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    i have comparison pics of a couple of taks, an fdn 50mm, and a konica 50mm, all f/1.4 lenses.

these are landscape shots, at medium distance, testing for field curvature on the a7r, wide open and f/8.

i was surprised at how these old 50's are actually pretty different, especially wide open.

50mm prime lens shootout

• Like Like x 3