1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Did your a6000 come with a cover plate / blank for the hot shoe ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by rdfisch, Apr 28, 2014.

1. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    My a6000 was just delivered from B&H - woo hoo !

When I bought my NEX-6, it came with a plastic "blank" in the hot shoe to protect it from dust, etc. but my a6000's shoe is "naked". Seems like a place for stuff to accumulate.

I am wondering if they all come like this or mine just missed a stop on the assembly line. This piece of plastic can't cost Sony more than a few cents to make. Maybe Sony realized that many people are going to put a level there (I am) since they took the internal one away.

It seems like a useful part of the kit to protect the contacts. I hate to think that Sony has adopted the mentality "lets figure out how to save 10 cents on each camera ... we sell so many it will mean big money at the end of the year":frown:.

Did your a6000 come with the "blank" ? If so, was it already on the camera or loose in the box ? (I bought my 6 used with it already mounted so I don't know for sure how that one came).

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I also got no blank - and thought the same!

• Like Like x 1
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    It's unfortunate to hear how Sony is starting to skimp on the details that distinguish premium from bargain. I know these things are not core to the device, but they contribute to the experience and relationship with the customer. Apple has mastered this experience. Sony used to understand this experience. I was shocked when I bought my SELP18105G and it didn't come with a lens case. This so called premium lens came in bubble wrap, while my $200 Sigma came in a very nice lens case. I should have got the idea, when I saw my nex 5T didn't come with a body cap or back lens cover for the 1650. One of my best friends used to run a hotel, and he explained the difference between top hotels and other hotels is not the room or the building, it's the little things they do to make you feel special.

• Like Like x 3
  4. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    OP here with fresh look on things ...

I got to asking myself " why would Sony do this ? ".

Maybe, I thought, they had a good reason. Maybe they found out at the last minute that the blanks didn't fit right.

Maybe they chose to omit them rather than delay the launch or ship with improper blanks (not necessarily a bad decision IMO).

Maybe when we register our new cameras they will send us a proper blank in the mail:biggrin:.

5. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    No blank here, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. flash

flash TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    Since the only things that stay in the box are hotshoe covers and lens cases, Im pleased we're not wasting our limited resourses to produce them. Just more landfill. Maybe they should be an add on option for only those that want them.

Gordon

7. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I really don't get why you find the need chime in if you don't care about this. If you don't value these things, then you don't. Obviously the folks who have opined on this thread value them. They help preserve the integrity of the equipment when not in use and for travel. It is not landfill. I have never known someone to knowingly throw away a lens case, caps or covers with the box, but everyone throws away the gobs of bubble wrap. Which of these options contributes more to landfill?

8. Rainbow

Rainbow New to TalkEmount

Apr 21, 2014
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Henk Kuilman
    Hi folks,
    My a6000 came also with a 'naked' hotshoe. SONY is economizing on the product in a bad way.
    The hotshoe cap is an accessoire you need to buy separate as shown in the product line sheet that came with the camera.
    There is also no manual delivered with the product, not on paper or on cd/dvd. The manual you need to download yourself from the internet.
    Also very disapointing is the way how everething concerning power consumption is asrranged.
    Connected to the usb you can not use the camera, it is my first camera whitch is using battery power when connected to a PC.
    I am used to press the play button to view photo's, on this camera you need to power on the whole camera including lens activation of the camera to view your photo's.
    RIDICULOUS!

• Like Like x 1
  9. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    The blank on my 6 was installed on the camera the entire time I owned it. Never got into flash or video so no need to use the shoe, but the blank protected the contacts if I ever needed them in the future. Like I said, a useful part of the kit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    Thanks, I hadn't noticed the blank was actually offered as an accessory. I ordered a low profile bubble level to fill the void (in more ways than one!). Would like to have the functionality of 3 axis, but that one is way too big.

I really didn't mean to start a general a6000/Sony bashing thread, but I guess things are bothering people and must get said. Maybe somebody else could start a new thread ... this one is supposed to be about the hot shoe blank.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Like Gordon, I leave the hotshoe covers in the box in hopes that I'll find them when I sell the camera. Am surprised to find that others value them, but we're all different, and I go against the grain on protective filters, hoods, charging in the camera, and more.

I'm pretty sure none of my Canon DSLRs came with hot shoe covers, while the Nikons did, so there doesn't seem to be an industry standard. In fact, a Canon DSLRs internal flash won't work if there is a hotshoe cover in place.

12. flash

flash TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    Well had I known that this was only for lovers of the hotshoe cover, I would have abstained. And I will, of course, run all my posts by you for approval. Wouldn't want a different opinion from yours after all.......

Gordon

13. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Hotshoe lovers? How juvenile is that.
    You didn't just have different opinion. Everyone is entitled to that. Amin had a different view, he pointed out he was surprised people care about it; fair enough.
    What you did was tell others what they care about was landfill. Period, no explanation. How is that a productive discussion? Just think about it for a second instead of being so defensive.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

14. flash

flash TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    No. I said I cared about landfill. I made no opinion on others. Do what you want.

Gordon

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    This is just a misunderstanding, avoidable if Gordon had explicitly stated "for me" (his personal viewpoint) OR if WestOkid had recognized the implicit "for me" in Gordon's comments. Please let's get past it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using TalkEmount mobile app

• Like Like x 5
  16. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    agreed

• Like Like x 1
  17. MikeyIdaho

MikeyIdaho TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 1, 2014
    Seems like a misunderstanding to me as well, but either way there should always be room for differing opinions. Normally when I post a thread online it isn't only to receive pats on the back and people agreeing with my view. I also see a hot shoe blank as a very very minor thing to have a problem with, as I always seem to lose mine eventually haha. I just clean the hot shoe contacts occasionally.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TalkEmount mobile app

18. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    OP here once again. Just to clarify, my primary reason for posting was because I thought my not receiving a blank might have been an error and wanted to find out. I secondarily mentioned that I would be disappointed if Sony was cutting corners on their new models. It never occurred to me it would lead to a debate on the value of the blank, though I have to admit I enjoy some good natured banter over something so trivial.

My first three NEX's came with the blank installed out of the box ... the naked shoe was the very first thing I noticed when I unboxed the a6000. Trivial perhaps, but when buying what is now the top-of-the-line in what used to be called the NEX body, to be told by Sony this 10 cent item is now a $7 accessory, was, I felt, a slap in the face to a loyal customer. It caused me to envision a team of engineers pouring over the design trying to find anyplace, and everyplace, to save a dime. With this type of mentality, it makes me wonder "what corners might they be cutting that I can't see ?".

Regardless of anyone's opinion as to the importance of the blank, the last sentence above is why I believe it was a poor choice on Sony's part. And lest anyone think otherwise, I still think most Sony products are excellent and applaud their innovation, design and quality. I haven't yet spent enough time with the a6000 to judge, but I am optimistic it will live up to my expectations.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I noticed the hotshot cover missing on the display camera @ Best Buy and asked if the A6000 came with one...was confirmed that there wasn't one included.
    Strange how the NEX-6 did.

When I returned the "used" NEX-6 that I ordered "new" back to Best Buy, I asked if it was possible to keep the hotshot cover for the A6000 replacement...they didn't object.
    The cover fits perfect on the A6000.

20. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I always leave the hotshoe cover on my nex-6, sad to hear they removed the internal level as I use this quite a bit. On another note I just ordered a body cap and a rear lens cap :cool: