Did I score a deal on an A7 Kit?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by p00kienrayray, May 10, 2015.

1. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray TalkEmount Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    I was offered by a best buy employee an open box A7 kit. They marked it down as "damaged", even though it wasn't, to give me a price of $909+taxes. So it's a perfectly functioning A7 + 28-70 lens with no cosmetic blemishes for a few dollars under $1000 out the door. The box seems empty, but not sure if it's bc it has none of the cardboard dividers in it. All that was in there was body, battery, strap, lens, front lens cap, hood, wall charger, and paperwork. So what I know is missing is: body cap, rear lens cap, and any cables that may have originally came with it including the micro usb charging cable. I bought it, but am wondering if I could've bought used via online community for less. I wasn't exactly looking for the kit lens but rather the body + 35mm FE prime, or a cheap canon EF adapter.

What are your thoughts? I have 15 days to return it if I decide that I should just buy via private party. Also, I'm not sure how the factory warranty comes into play. I gotta call best buy and ask.

2. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    The shutter count had 30 clicks when I bought it. I'm gonna keep it. Just didn't want to have to sell the lens, which I think I'm gonna do. Besides, best buy says the factory warranty starts the day I buy it, and I still have the 15 days to buy the protection plan from them should I decide to do that.

4. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    FYI, the picture numeric shown on the camera lcd screen or from the picture taken stored in SD card DOES NOT mean that is the actual actuation.
    In January, I sent my a7 camera in for service. Sony told me that I can buy an extended warranty directly from SONY for $79 for 2 yrs (they count as 1st year default MFG warranty + 2nd year as extended). I can call in and buy this extended warranty near the end of my full 1st year of warranty. Unlike from BestBuy must be committed within 15 days.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  5. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    Is this method accruate? http://tools.science.si/index.php
    Either way, I'm satisfied with my purchase. Got around to adapting an FD lens, and now seeing what the hype is about. I'm finally ready to move my DSLR system and go completely mirrorless. About to trade my 1D3 for an A6000 kit; will use the 28-70mm A7 kit lens on the A6000 if that goes through, and will probably just use MF lenses for the A7.

Regarding the warranty, that's not bad considering you have a full year to buy it. Best buy has warranty and also a separate ADH policy. However, their ADH policy is silly in that say the A7 is discontinued (which I think it is) and it is out of stock, they will apply what the value of the A7 is at that time towards a new body. So let's say next year the A7 is worth $500, I would only get $500 towards an A7II or any camera for that matter. Similar to car insurance. It's unlikely to be in stock when something finally does happen, and I don't know who does the appraisals for value. Typically, Best Buy and any big name store severely undervalues an appraisal.

6. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    You always have an option to go with square trade within 30 days