1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Did anyone upgrade from 5N to 7 ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by izTheViz, Oct 21, 2013.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Hi,

I own a 5N and I'm pretty happy with it. Assuming that I mainly shoot landscapes and cities (http://www.flickr.com/photos/iztheviz/) I was wondering how I would benefit from the 7 compared to the 5N. Will the 24Mpx really and obviously enhance the image quality/definition ? I know that at high ISO the 5N will perform better but I rarely shoot very high ISO.
    I've found some mint second hand bodies here in France for <600€. In any case I would keep both so as to avoid changing lenses all the time.

Any Nex-5N + Nex-7 owner ? Any feedback from people having moved from 5N to 7 ?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    No,

Which seems on the face of it a pointless answer. But I almost did, and am interested in this question.

After my 5N I ended up chosing 5R not 7, not least because i thought 24 megapixels might actually be annoying?

3. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    I upgraded from the F3 to the 7 (which is basically the same as the 5N). The extra resolution is really handy, but I find that the most improvement comes with handling the camera itself. In manual mode on the 7 it's much quicker to adjust shutter speed, aperture and ISO than the 5N/F3. The viewfinder is also really handy for bright days and close focus. It has neat features like the 10fps shooting for high speed stuff.

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    F3 is NOT basically the same as the 5N. It doesn't have the electronic first curtain shutter with the 0,02s shutter delay, which is a very critical feature.

Upgrading just because of the resolution is silly, as it gives you only 25% more practical print size in perfect conditions. High ISO is slightly better at the NEX-7 than the 5N, but the difference is very marginal. If you upgrade, do it for the handling or the additional features a 7 gives you (Tri-Navi, AF/MF-button, ...), not for the resolution.

• Like Like x 1
  5. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    thanks. rather go for better lenses perharps...

6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I upgraded from the 5n to the 7 and it completely changed how much I enjoyed shooting.

I shoot mostly street and the handling of the 7 was a huge improvement for me but if you mostly use a tripod and don't crop much then .... But I do think the files I get from the 7 are better than from the 5n.

(I'm sorry I can't see your link. I'm in China and they block some sites like Facebook and Twitter, some others are just slowed down so much they often time out. Flicker is one of those.)

7. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    I'd rather choose this. The NEX-5N's IQ is still good even by today's standard. You won't get a marginally improved quality with the NEX-7. Yes it'd be better, but not that much. I also read somewhere that the NEX-7 needs to be paired with good lenses in order to maximizes its sensor capability.

8. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Thanks. Yes I do some cropping to 16/9 format for instance although I try to compose as best as I can. But for pano like image, 16/9 works fine.

9. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    The nex 7 has two control dials, but actually if you are shooting legacy glass you can only use 1 of them (because the aperture is on the lens itself).

So in that particular use case you might as well have a 5R/5T, which only has 1 control dial but that is still 1 more than the 5N.

Or can you make the other dial exposure comp? I am not sure?